What's new

Windows Workgroup computers drop off and back on line (1 Viewer)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I have a secure wireless g network in my home. I have four computers currently sharing the network: three desktops (2 wireless, 1 wired) and one laptop (wireless). When everything is up and going, it's great.

However, I am having issues with different stations dropping on and off the network intermittently. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. What's interesting is that none of them lose the internet connectivity, only speaking to the other computers.

Has anyone run into this? The laptop is the only one that is either put in standby or shutdown (it travels between the house and my wife's work)

Thanks in advance.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Without a server of some kind in place, Windows 2000 and XP machines can frequently fight to become what's known as the master browser on the network...the machine that is responsible for maintaining the list of computers in your workgroup. Look in the event viewer in each machine for something that looks like this.

Event Type:Error
Event Source:BROWSER
Event Category:None
Event ID:8009
Date:3/21/2006
Time:7:37:00 AM
User:N/A
Computer:[Computer Name]
Description:
The browser was unable to promote itself to master browser. The computer that currently believes it is the master browser is [Computer Name].

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 34 00 00 00 4...

Designate one computer that is most likely to be on and available the most to be the master browser by stopping and disabling the Computer Browser service on the remaining machines. As you've seen, this issue doesn't affect connectivity to the Internet and making these changes won't affect that. The list of computers should actually come up much faster with the power struggle put to rest.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I have several of these errors reported.

Where do I find this computer browser service to disable it?

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Like everything in Windows, there are several ways, but I will generally right click "My Computer" and choose "Manage". This actually gives you access to a number of management tools including the event viewer, device manager, defrag, etc.
  • When the console comes up, expand "Services and Applications" in the left pane. Now highlight "Services".

In the list of services on the right, double click "Computer Browser"

On the "general" tab click "Stop"

Once the service stops, click the dropdown box under "Startup Type:" and change it to disabled. This will prevent it from starting up again the next time you reboot.

Click OK and close "Computer Management"

That's it. It's not necessary to reboot. Just observe over the next few days whether the machines still drop off and check the event viewer periodically (this is a good practice anyway) for the browser error.

Edit...the list of services are actually on the right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks