windows wont detect my hard drive, help!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Mar 28, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i am building a new pc, and the hard drive was detected on cmos. but when it comes the time for win xp to install, it says hd is not detected!!!

what to do? heeeeeelp!!!

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

do you have the jumpers set correctly? Bios settings?

3. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i made sure everything is connected properly. jumper is set to master, it is the only hd in the pc.

about bios...the detection is set to auto, and the other setting is set to LBA.

what to do next?

i tried booting from floppy. it worked. when i tried to fdisk / partition, it said "cannot access drive 1".

i almost give up. any suggestion?

4. Ron Snaider

Ron Snaider Auditioning

When you said XP does not see it, are you reffering to My Computer.

If that is the case, you need to go to Control Panels and Administrative Tools, Disk Administrator, and from there you can format and partition the new drive.

If you been here and this is not the case, you may have a bad drive, or the cable/jumper issue above might be the problem.

5. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

If WinXP doesn't detect it at the start of the install, and you have all the jumpers set properly (ie. Master), my guess would be you have gotten a bum drive.

Exchange it and see what happens.

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I installed XP 2 weeks ago and it also did not detect my second HDD. I went into DOS and ran the HDD utility floppy. When I went back into Windows, the drives were there.