Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Chris,

Thanks for the warning on using a beta OS. I do a weekly image
backup so I am not concerned if VISTA ruins my setup. I can simply
format and restore my older XP image.

Carlo,

I think the instant boot-up is more MEMORY dependable than OS.

For years we have been promised new flash memory chips that
will enable instant boot-up. I think it was IBM that had promised
such chips would arrive last year. They never did.

I also heard that even if the chips were made available today,
the entire PC architecture would have to be modified in order to
support them.

I'm no expert in this -- I can only go by what I have read. I am
sure the more qualified in this area will have a more educated response
and I look forward to it.

Glenn Overholt

Producer
Reaction score
I thought that 'instant' boot was called standy (mode)?

The reason that it takes so long isn't the OS as much as it is all of the crap that gets loaded just to make the screen look the way we want it to, and to make the programs work.
Has anyone ever done a 3-finger salute, and taken out of the boot-up, all of the extras, and rebooted? I bet that would be super-fast!

Oh wait, isn't that safe mode?

Glenn

DeathStar1

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Neil
If instant bootup is what I think it is, I would LOVE that feature, along with instant shutdown. Shutdown and bootup in 2 seconds..how cool would that be in case of Thunderstorm?

To the Reviewer a few posts ago... I'd love to have shots of the Desktop, and this Areo feature. Just to see what Areo is really all about.

BTW, why does microsoft charge people to download Beta $400 or so ? You'd think they'd make it free to get as much quality feedback as possible. I'd have upgraded to beta if that where the case..

Rob Gillespie

Producer
Reaction score
Count me as a Vista naysayer.

There was nothing revolutionary about XP and it doesn't look there will be anything so about Vista. Many people will need new hardware to run Vista, and yet fundamentally it does practically nothing that previous versions of Windows didn't do. We have a new look, some fancy graphics and everything you've become familiar with over the past few years moved around again. As usual it's all about looking cool rather than actually achieving anything in a more efficient way.

How about some fundamental improvements like tasks that actually die when you tell them to, a search facility that works properly and is instantly accessbile (they really screwed that up going from W2K to XP). How about a powerful renaming facility, or partitions that can be altered on-the-fly. How about some joined-up-thinking for a change rather than just this year's collection of new games and memory intensive pointless graphics.

I still think the best version of Windows was 2000 Pro which gets in the way of doing stuff less than all the others.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Re: One pg back posts, I've owned all my discs 95>98>XP skipped the other versions. Never wanted my OS tied to the hardware, since HW can quit, glitch, be overpowered by new software. I guess thats why we've always built our own. I've had this DT computer morph by bits, so many times...that everything orginal has been replaced countless times.

One complaint I had seen by Beta users (if the Chris[tians]) could confirm. That the startup process's list at base install was enormously bloated from XP, with less clairity as to deciphering what each is tied to?

Glenn Overholt

Producer
Reaction score
Neil - $400? Where did you get that one from?

I just ordered the Vista Beta for $6. +$4. (shipping) and the friggin' tax $.042 - for a grand total of $10.42.

Oh boy!

Glenn

DeathStar1

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Neil
I can't remember the exact link, but it was somewhere on the official Microsoft Site. Where's this new link?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Downloading the Beta is almost impossible. Tried most of
last night and even at 3:30am this morning. The site is overloaded.

I just paid the $10 to have a DVD copy sent to me.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hmmm...

Never mind. It seems to be downloading now.

I'll install it later today and let you know.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Reaction score
Real Name
Todd
I downloaded it and installed it on my iMac using boot camp. Haven't played with it much. I will say that being a beta, it is still extremely buggy. Be warned!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Todd,

Installing mine later this afternoon once I get home.

So, let's discuss this as it will become a great topic here.

What are you finding buggy about the software thus far?

That goes for anyone else that has installed and is using
the new Beta 2. Please let us know about your experiences.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Reaction score
Real Name
Todd
I know it's locked up a couple of times trying to do Windows Update. It also would boot up occasionally without powering up my USB mouse and keyboard. I would be stuck on the welcome screen without any way to click or type anything. To fix this I unplugged them and plugged them back in. So far that's about it. I'll probably "kick the tires" and "look under the hood" some this weekend.

I will say that I hate the way it does widgets. I much prefer the Mac way where they are hidden until you hit a key combination. Vista keeps them on the desktop, which takes up real estate. Hopefully there's a setting I can change to modify this.

DeathStar1

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Neil
I got the X32 edition downloaded, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to burn an ISO image to DVD. I remember vaugley being able to do it in an old copy of Nero, but I don't know if it still has that function, or if Ulead Move Factory 4 can do it.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Reaction score
Real Name
Todd
I solved my lockup problems at lunch. It seems Windows Update had a new driver for my Mac's ethernet that locked it up every time I tried to install it. I did a Restore and hid the update since networking is working fine without the update.

I still have to unplug my keyboard and mouse and plug them back in after bootup to get them working. I'll tackle that one this afternoon.

Glenn Overholt

Producer
Reaction score
Ok gang - would it be advisable to add a new (and empty) HDD and to do a new install that would make my system a dual boot?

Glenn

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
I ran it for a few hours on a test systems that was going to be wiped with a new xp load. Not sure if the aero feature is on the beta or not, but the onboard graphics card wouldnt handle it anyway.

You need to activate to get some things to show, and I could not activate the copy yet until I find a more 'permanate' host.

So far was not that impressed, but will have to use it more to get comfortable.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Reaction score

Glenn, that is what I will probably do as I have no other systems but my main rig that would make the most of vista.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Reaction score
Real Name
Todd
IMO, it's always best to install on a separate drive and dual boot if possible.

Edit: Just realized Microsoft sent me two Activation keys. I have one available if anyone's interested. Just PM me. Don't see where anything would be wrong with this since it's pretty much free anyway.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Having a problem installing Vista.

I have successfully downloaded and burned the .ISO to
a DVD-R.

ISO File size: 3.12 GB

Downloaded it twice in fact. First download using NERO to burn
the image and then second download using ALCOHOL 100%. I have