What's new

Windows update worm remover (1 Viewer)

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Has anyone gotten this notification from Windows Update?

I only ask because it looks a little different than the normal Windows Update dialog that I'm used to. I've looked the update # up and it's legit, it just seemed weird that it would tell me that my computer is most likely infected and I needed to download something.

Is it all legit?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
That is strange. Do you have an antivirus program? If so, update it and run a thorough scan. If you don't, go to Symantec.com and they have removal tools for specific viruses/worms you could use that are definitely safe.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I keep my antivirus up to date and it scans twice a week. I've not had any problems with viri in quite a while. Only time I have to deal with them is in email attachments when Norton's can't quarentine or delete the file. I have to delete a virus laden message manually from time to time, but I've never gotten a hit on my next full scan.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Have you tried going to the Windows Update page directly? From IE, select Tools->Windows Update, and click on "Search for updates". If the worm removal tool shows up again, then the message window may have been legit.

But with all the phishing scams going around, you can never be sure that what you see on the screen is legit at all.

John Chow

Second Unit
Actually, I got this same thing too, and I'm pretty sure I don't have it since I use Eudora, don't click on attachments, have a firewall, etc. I went ahead and installed it anyways, more out of curiosity. I figured I'd run the removal tool to see if it really found anything. After installing it, it didn't really seem to do anything or say anything, and I had kinda put it out of mind 'til I saw this thread. So anyways, did the standard MS search, which presumably you've already found here:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...528-v4-ENU.exe

I also did a search on doom*.*, and found a doomcln.log in my c:windowsdebug directory. Opened the log file and lo and behold, no infections found, so at least it did run itself.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I downloaded the file just to see what happened and nothing ever did happen except it started a loop of telling me to download it, I'd download, install, then it would tell me to download it again. I finally ran the app from microsoft.com and it found no infection (which I didn't figure it would).

Still kind of an odd way to do it I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks