Windows update trouble

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Steve Deacon, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Steve Deacon

Steve Deacon Stunt Coordinator

Simple problem. I have a number of pcs on my home network, all have ADSL access via a router. Two of them run Windows XP, one a desktop, the other a laptop connected by 802.11b. Recently the desktop one has stopped being able to get any windows updates, but not in the way you'd imagine. By which I mean it isn't failing as such with any error, but after going through the usual checking procedure, it simply informs me "There are no updates available for your computer. Please check back later."

The problem is that I know that there are updates, indeed critical updates, because I've just updated the laptop with them. This has been going on for quite a while now, more than a month I think, so I know that a number of recent security patches are missing from the desktop machine's installation.

Has anyone else experienced this? What I find quite worrying, is that someone with only one machine could be suffering the same problem, and be totally unaware of it.

I have checked the MS knowledge base, but I couldn't find anything relevant.

2. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

I can't tell you why that is happening, but in the mean time you can go directly to manual download section and get the updates individually.

MS Downloads

Sorry I can't offer anything better.

3. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    Yep,I have the same problem. Two computers running XP Pro and only one will show updates availble. I haven't been able to find a fix for it yet.

4. Steve Deacon

Yes, it looks like manual downloads are the only solution at present, but it's a pretty poor one. I wonder how common this is then, given I'm not the only one.

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

This is a common problem and there are a couple of solutions that I know of.

1st make sure that you clear all of your cookies/internet files.

Second double check your date time/regional settings. If they are too far from what Microsoft has then it will go to do the scan, show 100%, at tell you there are no updates. Pay specific attention to the year your computer is on that is the most common issue. Let me know when you guys try it.

KyleS

6. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    I'm wondering if the problem here is your router. Since it presents a single IP address to the Windows Update site, does Windows Update possibly think you already have the update?

Just a guess... don't flame me too bad.

7. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

it could be your product id # ..micro$oft has banned certain pid,s because of piracy..

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Sadly, I think you are going to have to do a reinstall on that machine.

I have been through similar stuff, and even had the same thing happen to me with Norton. It just stopped getting updates. My best guess is that a file decided to get screwed up, but not necessarily by a virus.

You might be able to ask MS, but getting them to pin it down to a file or two is next to impossible, and may even be impossible, as it could run across several files.

I don't know if reinstalling on top of your current system will do it, though.

Glenn

9. Steve Deacon

Never had any joy with solving this, clearing settings, etc made no difference.

As for the router and single IP, that isn't a problem, as I have 5 machines in total on this network, and they can all update apart the problem one. All have valid installations too, so unless the XP key for the failing machine has been used by others, I can't see what could be wrong with it.

10. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

I had this problem once, I think it turned out to be the date thing for me.

11. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

the solution that seems to work the most often for me is to replace the http:// with https://. usually what happens is that your digital certificate expires and windows won't allow for an update, the experiation is mostley due to wrong clock. but occasionally other things may couase this problem. using the secure site forces an update of the certificate.

here's the link that you want to use:
    https://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

12. Steve Deacon

Thanks for the info, but I've solved it now. I just needed to add a language in the language preference window in tools/options. Odd sort of solution, but then I've given up MS making complete sense.

Now I have 10 critical updates to install.