Windows Update only available for Win2k & XP now?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Clinton McClure, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Every time I get online, the first thing my PC does is check with Windows Update to see if there are any new critical updates (running Win 98 SE). Up until last night everything was fine. Now when I get online, I am directed to a web page informing me that Windows Update is now only available for Win2k and XP owners.

Has Microsoft finally gone off the deep end and pulled support for Win 98?

2. BradyB

BradyB Stunt Coordinator

I am affraid so, and unfortunatly for Windows users, at the end of this year or early next year Win2K will no longer recieve updates.
    Micro$oft believes this is old technology and doesn't wish to service it any more.
    Sorry for the info [​IMG]

3. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    That's as silly as Toyota thinking my Celica (2000) is old technology and should not be serviced anymore, forcing me to buy a new one. It it truely a sad day. [​IMG]

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I've just gone to Windows Update from '98 and it's working fine. There might be something odd going on with the auto-update thingy you have running. Load up Internet Explorer, click on Tools, then Windows Update. That's the way I always go in and I've not had any problems.

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

6. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

MS released a new automatic update tool for W2K a week or so ago. But my ME box still works when I launch Windows Update manually. Perhaps they are only doing automatic updates for XP & 2K, and leaving the 98 & ME users to check the site for updates manually.

I don't really know...

KJP

7. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

All that website says for windows 2k is that starting Mar. 31 2003, it will:

Licenses may no longer be available to consumers.**
    In addition to online support information, paid incident support will be available.

Doesn't say anything about no more upgrades or anything like that.

I read a few months ago that they are stopping upgrades for 98. And that was just this year. I find it very hard to believe they will stop for win2k just next year considering how long was win98 has been out.

No worries folks.

8. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I am doubtful that they will stop providing update for W2K, that said, there was a bunch of hooplas on MS changing their licensing policy (mostly related to volume, OEM and business customers, Windows as well as Office), and as W2K is mainly marketed to corporate customers, how support and update works may well be changing. I vaguely remember one of the provision is paying an annual subscription fee for updates. Depending on how they do it and what it costs, it's not all that unusual these days to charge a subscription, as off hand, Symantec, Mcafee, Zone Alarm all do it.

9. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

10. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S

11. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

12. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I dunno- going to windows update with win98 worked fine for me...

-Vince

13. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Of course one of the major reasons Microsoft is developing Palladium hardware security is so they can do software rental. Send us $79.95 if you ever want to see your Microsoft Word document again.

Windows 98 may have been around since 1998 but Internet Explorer 6 and all of its bloated accessories such as Media Player last underwent major revisions less than a year ago, so I think Microsoft should remain obligated to fix the bugs they introduced with them for some time to come.

14. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

I wonder if Microsoft really thinks they can make software rental fly. The spyware implications of Palladium, in conjunction with changes in licensing (elimination of many competitive/version upgrades) may just create a backlash.

That would be the true test of whether Microsoft is a monopoly or not. If everyone just pays up, then it is clear that they enjoy monopoly power. If everyone defects to the alternatives (Mac, Linux/FreeBSD/UNIX), they will lose their market share and (near?)-monopoly status quickly.

I am almost done with my MCSE-2000 certification update, but now am thinking it's time to hedge my bets and develop my skills on the Mac/Linux platforms. If they don't kill the Palladium project soon, I think lots of shops will start retooling for the competition...

15. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>if that were to become true I could see a major rukus being caused.

16. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

I rang Microsoft UK Customer Services today to ask about this new licensing change. I've just upgraded Office from the Office 97 version I bought as a student. They told me that this new licensing scheme is for business users and multi-volume licenses. Retail users will not be affected.
    The deadline for volume licenses is 31 July 2002 (according to the UK website).
    I also asked about installing the same copy of Office on my laptop as on my desktop. They said that was OK with the Office XP Pro license I now have, as long as I was the only person using the machines (which I am). I would need to ring MS to activate the second copy as it wouldn't do it over the net. Interestingly the student license I had didn't allow this.
    Things are different if I upgrade to XP Pro. I would have to buy a separate copy for each machine, even though I am the only one using them. I didn't ask if this applied to the XP Home license though.
    Software has always been very different to other goods. In general you only ever by the license to use the software. You don't buy the software itself. Sometimes that license only allows you to use the software for a set period of time, sometimes there is no time limit. It's quite common for developers of online software (eg vBulletin) to sell their licenses on a renewable annual fee.
    Darren.

17. JoelH

JoelH Stunt Coordinator

As a reply to the original issue --
    There is a new version of Windows Update available to XP and 2000 users. Some older browsers default to this version (version 4) when checking at startup. If you manually type in http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com you will go to the old version and should be fine. I have used it this week on at least 20 computers with Win98.
    ----
    Joel

18. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    I tried going to the Win98 update site manually and it worked. Apparently there's something screwy with the automatic update tool which thinks I'm running XP.