Windows Picture Problems

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ToddJ, May 31, 2004.

1. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

Lately whenever I click on a photo that is on the web (I use Internet Explorer), instead of a filename name popping up (as a .jpg) it comes up 'Untitled' and is a bitmap, not a jpeg. It is very annoying. I have heard that it is a bug. however, the only way I found around it was to delete all the temporary internet files. It would be good for awhile, but then I would have to reset it again. Any ideas on a fix for this?

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Sometimes they ARE bitmaps, and it seems someone wants you to see the picture, but not save it 'cause it's so large?

But I had an experience recently where it was completely random, and 5 minutes later the pic would be saveable as a jpg after initially appearing as a bitmap. I had not cleared TIF's or anything, very wierd. Guess it was something about the site.

Be interesting to know the answer to your question.

Slightly related, I think I see little red x's where there is suppposed to be an image much more often in the past year than in my previous 4 years on-line.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

both problems have been discussed already here, wish i could point you to the threads from the top of my head but then the search function would be useless [​IMG]

My way of stopping the red X's was to use Mozilla Firefox. Now everyone is telling me Opera is better. It took me years to stop using IE, wonder how long it will take for me to finally install & try Opera.

4. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

5. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

hmmm...that still doesn't work....any other ideas?

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

You may consider running anti-spyware programs like Spybot and Adaware, to clear out ActiveX controls that may be running hidden on your browser. That might reduce the frequnecy of your problem too.

7. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

any other ideas?

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Last ditch desperate attempt:

Install Opera or Mozilla. [​IMG]

9. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

ok...any other ideas besides using a different browser? I want to still use Internet Explorer....

10. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    I don't know whether it's a bug or a copy-protection feature. If you save the page (using File/Save As...), does the picture appear in the _files directory? I think it will. [​IMG]

Cees

11. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

_files directory? what do you mean? the picture does appear.....but it saves it as a bitmap with 'untitled' as the title and not the original name.

12. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Todd,

I meant the directory where the files of the page are stored (if the name of the page is hello.html, the name of the directory is hello_files). Now if the picture is there, is your problem that it's a .bmp file? I understood that your problem was not being able to copy it. What happens if there are more than 1 picture on the page. They cannot all be named untitled.bmp!

Cees