What's new

Windows Picture Problems (1 Viewer)

ToddJ

Second Unit
Lately whenever I click on a photo that is on the web (I use Internet Explorer), instead of a filename name popping up (as a .jpg) it comes up 'Untitled' and is a bitmap, not a jpeg. It is very annoying. I have heard that it is a bug. however, the only way I found around it was to delete all the temporary internet files. It would be good for awhile, but then I would have to reset it again. Any ideas on a fix for this?

John Watson

Screenwriter
Sometimes they ARE bitmaps, and it seems someone wants you to see the picture, but not save it 'cause it's so large?

But I had an experience recently where it was completely random, and 5 minutes later the pic would be saveable as a jpg after initially appearing as a bitmap. I had not cleared TIF's or anything, very wierd. Guess it was something about the site.

Be interesting to know the answer to your question.

Slightly related, I think I see little red x's where there is suppposed to be an image much more often in the past year than in my previous 4 years on-line.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
both problems have been discussed already here, wish i could point you to the threads from the top of my head but then the search function would be useless ;)

My way of stopping the red X's was to use Mozilla Firefox. Now everyone is telling me Opera is better. It took me years to stop using IE, wonder how long it will take for me to finally install & try Opera.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
You may consider running anti-spyware programs like Spybot and Adaware, to clear out ActiveX controls that may be running hidden on your browser. That might reduce the frequnecy of your problem too.

ToddJ

Second Unit
ok...any other ideas besides using a different browser? I want to still use Internet Explorer....

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I don't know whether it's a bug or a copy-protection feature. If you save the page (using File/Save As...), does the picture appear in the _files directory? I think it will. :)

Cees

ToddJ

Second Unit
_files directory? what do you mean? the picture does appear.....but it saves it as a bitmap with 'untitled' as the title and not the original name.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Todd,

I meant the directory where the files of the page are stored (if the name of the page is hello.html, the name of the directory is hello_files). Now if the picture is there, is your problem that it's a .bmp file? I understood that your problem was not being able to copy it. What happens if there are more than 1 picture on the page. They cannot all be named untitled.bmp!

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks