Windows Media Player won't download codecs

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Bruce Hedtke, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

This is getting really frustrating. I am now using XP and when I am playing a video that requires a new codec, it won't download it. It says "Error downloading codec" and proceeds to play the file but without video. Since WMP 8 is directly attached to XP, you can't unistall it or install any other version of Media Player. Right now, all I know for sure is that it will play MPEG files, but everything else needs a new codec (.avi, .mpg, etc) and it won't let me download it. Is there something I'm doing wrong here? Is there something essential that I need to download new codecs that I don't have and am not aware of? Any help is appreciated.

Bruce

2. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Bruce,
    it sounds like you might be trying to playback Divx files, if that is the case Windows Media Player won't download the Divx codec for you. You'll have to get it from http://www.divx.com or search online.
    You might also check out The Playa' for video files, it works great and it's available from http://www.divx.com.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Uh, yep. There are like 3 dozen bootleg codecs- and win media player won't auto download any of them. They will react just as you said (error download codec, and will play only the audio).

-Vince

4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Thanks Jasen and Vince, that did the trick. I actually looked last night for Divx but didn't know I would need that to play .AVI files. Learn something new everyday.

Bruce

5. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

only because divx took that extention, there is a more 'standard' AVI format, just now it is more often than not, a divx file.

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

There is something out there called Nimo Codec Pack. It installs almost every codec under the sun. That took care of my codec problems once and for all. Be sure to read the instructions though, because a couple of codecs are only for certain video cards or systems .

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

ffdshow is another good codec pack, and has a nice interface for managing and tweaking codecs.
    -Dave

8. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Um ... are you SURE it's a DIVX-encoded file?

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Plug it into Vdub and see what comes up.
    www.virtualdub.org
    Open in Vdub then File --> File Information (Video Stream - Decompresser). WMP9 works just like all the other preious versions regarding different codec playback.

10. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

If you ran the setup & it still doesn't play, it's probably XVID. Install one of the aforementioned codec packs and all your bases are covered.

-Dave

11. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

a common misconception with nimo is to install everything, only install what you need.

grab g-spot for testing codec requirements, and then grab a recent stable ffdshow for all your mpeg4 (divx/xvid) needs.