Windows Media Player MPEG-2 problem

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jeff Jacobson, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I'm having a problem playing MPEG-2 files in Windows Media Player that just started yesterday.

When trying to play MPEG-2 files in Windows Media Player (either wmplayer.exe or mplayer2.exe), the program attempts to download a codec. Because I am not connected to the internet when trying to play these files, I get a "Error Downloading Codec" message. After the error message, the file does play, but not always at the correct speed.

SVCD MPEG-2 files now play too fast in wmplayer.exe, making everyone sound like chipmunks, while Mplayer2.exe will play these same files at the correct speed. Both wmplayer.exe and mplayer2.exe will play DVD MPEG-2 files at the correct speed.

(I've tried playing MPEG-1 and AVI files and have no problems.)

The only thing I can think of that might have caused this problem is that I installed Windows Media Encoder yesterday. I have tried uninstalling Windows Media Encoder, but I am still having these problems with the MPEG-2 files.

Graphics Card: ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 7500

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

3. Jeff Jacobson

No, I haven't. I have other media players that can play the files correctly, but I'd like to figure out what is wrong with WMP.

4. Jeff Jacobson

The files seem to play correctly in ATI MMC. I'm only having problems playing in mplayer2.exe and wmplayer.exe.

Any ideas about what is wrong?