What's new

Windows Media Player acting weird (1 Viewer)

SciPunk

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Does anybody have experience using Windows Media Player 12 ??

I have a big collection of music... mostly MP3 and a bunch of FLAC.

I recently built my new computer and made the switch to Win8.1.

Rather than going 3rd party, I decided to use WMP.

At the OS level, I made sure all my music was in the Music library, specifically:

D:\Users\User1\Music (D: is a different physical drive from the OS and apps on C:.)

I went to Organize=>Manage Libraries=>Music to make sure WMP ONLY has this folder associated with its Music Library. This, and only this, is listed under Library Locations.

I had to install a co-dec pack to get the FLAC to play, and a plug-in (WMP Tag Plus) to get WMP to show FLAC in its library.

Of course it works fine for 75% of my collection, but there are a ton of files with bad names and bad tags. So I bit the bullet and decided to use "Picard" to help clean up my files. To this end, I dragged some big discographies out of D:\Users\User1\Music and put them in a different folder (D:\Users\User1\Downloads\MusicTemp).

The plan was to clean them up here and add them back into the music library a couple of folders at a time as I made progress.

Once I moved the big folders out of the Music library, I had WMP "Apply Media Information Changes". I figured this would bring me back to a clean slate, minus the offending folders.

Well after I a while I checked, and the discographies that I moved to a different folder are IN THE WMP Library !!! From withing WMP I chose the "Open file location" option for one of the songs, and sure enough, it knows where it is... it's in the MusicTemp folder in the Downloads folder.

But I specifically told WMP to ONLY look in the Music folder, and nowhere else.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was trying to avoid. I don't want WMP to look in any other folders except my Music folder. I'll be sure to only put cleanly tagged and named files in there. The rest of my system may have all sorts of junk... mp3s or sound files that I DON'T want to show up in WMP.

Google is not very helpful. It shows millions of hits on how to use the Organize=>Manage Libraries=>Music option. But I already did that. Something over-rode that option. I can't find anything to solve this exact situation.

If anybody has experience working with WMP 12, I'd love to hear some advice.

Roy Patton

Auditioning
Real Name
Roy
i have had nothing but issues with WMP12 managing a large library....

at least once every other month it will strip my videos of its tags and forces me to retag over half my library it will also randomly remove video files from the library so i have to remove the entire folder and re-add the folder which forces me to retag.

dont even get me started on the issues i have dealing with the music side of my media....

managing my library when i had less than 300 Music Albums and less than a 100 Movie titles was fine, but now with over 2500 music albums (not including singles) and over 1200 video files (and video files added every week) .... i have had nothing but issues (and sadly theres not a fix) ....

i have finally had enough of dealing with with and have been playing around with the free KODI.tv software, and getting ready to reinstall my pc with a minimal Win 7 Pro install and KODI only on the device.....

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
My Sony VAIO laptop used to interface well with my Sony Blu-Ray player to let me stream my iTunes music library to my home theatre. Several months ago, Windows Music Player took over the task for some reason, and it just doesn't do the job. Tracks from iTunes albums I've bought disappear for no apparent reason, playlists lose items, it's a mess. I assume that there are technical reasons for this, such as what you folks in this forum are mentioning. But it's absurd to make something so complicated in the name of making things less complicated. My collection of physical copies of music and movies does the job reliably and in a way that I can comprehend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks