Windows Media High Definition

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Len Cheong, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Has anybody seen these downloadable movie trailers? They are awesome since they are 1080p or 720p and have dolby digital sound.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...tShowcase.aspx

You sure it's DD? I think they use a 5.1 version of WMA so you'd have to have a 5.1 sound card.

I love how Coral Reef looks, the break up of the blacks really show the limits of my LCD monitor. I can get the 720p to play pretty smooth on a p2.4 @ 2.7 but the 1080p is pretty much unplayable. [​IMG]

3. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Yes, the blacks are beautiful.

All the IMAX ones are really crisp. Even on my 17 inch monitor I can tell they are hi def because of the detail. My favorite is Dolphins 1080p where you can see every drop of water splashed as these animals are jumping about.

Here are the ones I've seen:

IMAX
    - coral reef adventure
    - dolphins
    - the magic of flight
    - step into liquid
    - speed

TRAILERS
    - a foreign affair
    - confidence
    - T2 extreme edition dvd
    - the rules of attraction

MICROSOFT WINDOWS MEDIA COMPUTER ANIMATION
    - pinball
    - robotica
    - race cars

Some of the above were downloaded via Mac. Don't know why Macs log on to a different website (same link, different website).

Haven't seen it on my hi def tv yet but will do it soon.

This is some technology. Microsoft is probably wanting a peice of the HDTV pie and this is their angle. Downloadable Hi Def!!! Watch out satellite companies.

4. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

For those of you as 'antiquated' as I am...

I can play the 720p demos with an XP1600 and a 32MB AIW.

5. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Certainly impressive, but with those CPU power requirements it probably won't be cheap to make a player capable of playing 1080P to a HDTV smoothly.

Either way, I want a blue laser HD-DVD with dramatically increased data storage capabilities rather than another compression format.

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Given how well WMA Pro works though I'd be just as happy to see a lot more of this format. The only negative at the moment for me is that the WMA Pro audio can't be decoded by a pre amp like DD/DTS can. Apparently though Pioneer is coming out with a new receiver that can decode this format digitally. That said anyone with an nForce2 motherboard should get DD from that on these clips[​IMG]

7. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

Kimmo,

More disc space is the answer to quality...

A 50 GB disc would hold 2 hours of 720p HD video at a compression ratio of about 25:1 (much better than current SuperBit or broadcast quality), and still have room for a MLP 5.1 audio track.

I hate to admit it but WMP9 HD looks really good (maybe because I don't know which compression anomalies to look for with this codec) mpeg2 is becoming all too predictable with it's shortcomings...

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

If Blu-ray is 720p I'll barf. :wink:

9. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Tried to hook my pc up to my hi def tv but these demos would not show. Everything on my computer desktop was duplicated on my tv but when I played the movie, it goes blank. Damn...

10. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Could be a primary/secondary monitor thing. The video overlay will probably only show on the primary monitor (ie your computer screen).

You might want to connect the computer up to the HDTV using it as the single monitor; otherwise, you can right-click on the desktop in Windows, select properties and look at the screen settings. Drill down to the advanced settings for screens and make the HDTV your primary monitor. That might do the trick.