What's new

Windows / MacOS fixes for Meltdown and Spectre (Intel kernel flaws) (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
OK so the news media has settled on two names for this issue: Meltdown and Spectre.

I've installed the MS patch KB4056892 on my two Win10 machines. Performance on browsing and office tasks didn't take a noticeable hit but now a full scan with an antivirus takes twice as long.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...odern-processor-has-unfixable-security-flaws/
https://spectreattack.com/

TL;DR: keep your computing devices up-to-date, stay away from dodgy websites, be *very* circumspect about email (& attachments) and what you install, and use a reasonable anti-virus program (reasonable free options: bitdefender/avira for PC, lookout for mobile.)
Definitely keep things up to date, new dangers appear every day.

As a slight add-on to this thread, 25+ years of network admin and still no way around stupid users. Things I wanted to do to lock down the systems were over-ridden by higher up management twits. Luckily most of the 250 employees I supported were fairly intelligent and not to many issues.

The worst was oddly from the "higher ups", the VPs, etc., Many broke all the rules, figured they were magically exempt. Had one guy who installed a game for his kid to play, totally hosed his video display. Once I finally pried out of him what he had done, a quick uninstall and things were fine. Luckily not a virus, only affected him.

Pure coincidence, but I went into the hospital to have my appendix removed, kind of an emergency operation. I had just hired a consultant to work with us to make the network more secure. Within hours we're invaded by a virus, thankfully only affected PCs, not the servers. I ended up in the hospital so couldn't help. Everything was eventually cleared up, no permanent damage. To this day, I'd swear this guy infected us just to show how "brilliant" he was at removing viruses. Couldn't prove any of it since I was in the hospital for several days, but very interesting timing.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
MS put out a voluntary update KB4058258 a few days ago. Today it got bumped onto the automatic update pile, and my two machines got it. IIUC it's to undo some of the damage of the 3 January update KB4056892.

When it downloads it later re-installs KB4056892. I wonder what that's all about.

This has been a heck of a month for patches.

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...-win10-1709-cumulative-update-kb-4058258.html

Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
This was the last straw for my Inspiron 560 w/ Wolfdale. The old processor has been struggling to keep up and now condemned to oblivion.

So I ordered another refurb, this time a desktop Optiplex 3010 with Ivy Bridge i5. Dell already has a BIOS update for it. I don't trust anything that isn't already available.

Yuch. I hate transferring all my old stuff to a new machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks