Windows go boom :(

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DaveF, Aug 9, 2004.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I traded in my Sony Clie for a new Zire 72 (using CompUSA's replacement plan). Alas, it's been nothing but trouble trying to get my Palm apps installed into the Zire and transferring all my data over. And then, for the coup de grace, during the 97th reinstall of the PalmDesktop, Windows ate my registry. All my preferences were destroyed! [​IMG] Email programs lost their settings. Registered programs lost their validation codes. Icons, window settings, desktop themes, all gone!

Fortunately, it wasn't a HD crash, so my data is safe. (whew!) This weekend, I've got to buy a CD-RW (previously I used my roommate's, as our computers were networked), backup, and do a complete reinstall. It was about time, I suppose.

Alas, I'm still on a PIII 450 machine with Win98SE. This would be a great time to upgrade both computer and OS, but I'm saving for a new house I'm getting in a few months.

I think I might like the Zire if I ever get all the software installed and my data transfered. (sigh). [​IMG]

2. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I recommend Windows 2000. It is relative safe and stable, for a Microsoft product. [​IMG]

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    For the moment, I prefer not to spend $100 for a new OS. When I'm ready to upgrade, I expect WinXP with the service pack to be available. By all accounts, it's a stable and friendly OS.

Actually, I'm using here at work, and aside from being a bit ugly, it's been stable.

I've found Win98 to be fairly stable, over the short term. But it needs reinstalling every couple years.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Wow- you're lucky. I reinstalled win98 SE on a sechedule of 60-90 days and Xp every 6-9 months.

5. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Well, I did have to do a few 98 reinstalls, but it was at most once a year (barring something like a CPU or HD upgrade). I think I've had my current XP install for about two and a half years though, which I'd definitely consider "stable".

6. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Same experience here. I bought a TV tuner card in January 2002, and I believe I had WinME then. WinME didn't like it, so I installed Win98SE, and Win98SE didn't like it either. Luckily, Microsoft came to my university in March 2002 for a demonstration of Visual Studio .Net, and I got a free WinXP Pro CD for going there. Tuner card problem solved, and I haven't reinstalled since.

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I changed my work computer XP to be closer to the "traditional" Win95 appearance. I found the default cartoon blue of XP to be too much.

I've got a CD burner on order from NewEgg; I hope that arrives this weekend and I can refresh my computer. What a bother, though. It's always a pain and something always gets missed in the process. [​IMG]

8. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I think that's what he was getting at. [​IMG]

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I guess I was too literal, as I thought Vince was saying he thought it common practice to re-install Win98 every few months. Hence, I'm lucky and out of the norm in only re-installing every couple years. [​IMG]

Vince - If you needed reinstalls that frrequently with both Win98 and XP, I'd guess that you are extraordinarily picky about OS behavior, or your hardware was really hosed and caused lots of secondary software problems. Windows, with all its warts, doesn't have that bad of a reputation...

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well "common" is a relative concept: among the people I talk computing with (all programmers and IT people), if they bothered to run a windows OS back in the late 90's- they had the same basic policies- I don't know of anyone who left a win98 install run for more than 6 months without getting frustrated enough to reinstall (or switch to something else).

Granted, i don't think my mom or my grandma would be redoing win98 every few months- but then again, that's why their computers took 8 minutes to start up and waited 3-4 seconds to respond to any mouse click.

Also, keep in mind I'm often running "professional" recording and audio sessions on my machines: the small hiccups and bullshit that most people don't even notice or think about in windows become a lot more frustrating when someone is paying you $50-100 per hour to work on their project and sitting oer your shoulder couting the seconds. You simply don't have time to have programs hang or even worse need to restart, and in the amazing cases where you do have to restart- you don't have time for it to take more than a few seconds.

As a result, I often need to have the OS running like a "fresh install" every single time I turn the machine on. And you might not notice lags or small stuff right now- but try a reinstall and I'd be dollars to donuts the majority would notice a marked system improvement initially.

-V

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I see. I'm well aware of the small "hiccups" that occur a few months into Win98's life, but I could ignore them. Those glitches had little impact on numerical computations taking up 90% of the CPU. But eventually directory folder refreshes became too slow and I had to reinstall.

As for a reinstall: making sure all my preferences, settings, drivers, updates, and data was archived alone took a few hours. And then reformatting the HD, reinstalling windows and 5-10 large programs, updating all the patches, getting a few hardware peripherals to work, and re-setting all my personal settings made a reinstall a weekend affair. So it's not something I did lightly.

And I expect I'll spend 5-10 hours reinstalling this weekend or early next week and a few more days tracking down niggling things I missed. [​IMG]

12. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    After a long weekend of work and chunks of several evenings, my computer lives. [​IMG]

I consolidated all my previous archives (personal data nd downloaded patches/updates) and burned new archive CDs. I made sure my boot floppy worked and gave me CD access, then wiped the harddrive and formatted it.

I installed Win98 and then, with hope in my heart, attempted to install WinXP. (an upgrade CD my dad gave me a couple years ago. I never had a good time to try it out.) To my pleasure WinXP installed smoothly and recognized all my hardware immediately except my network card.

That could have been a problem... my drivers were old and I didn't verify the network card was supported by XP. Of course, I could just download up-to-date drivers, except, well, ... it could have been bad (well, it would have been a trip to CompUSA to buy a new card. Fortunately the drivers for WinNT5 worked and I was in business.

Many hours of restoring personal data, searching for new drivers, installing and patching apps, and I'm done with the heavy lifting.

My P3 450 has gained a bit more life with its CD-RW and WinXP upgrades, and I'm good for two more years, I hope.

I don't know how Dell is these days, but five years ago, they built hardware to last!