Windows: Direct command to Turn Off Monitor?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Vince Maskeeper, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Windows lets you set a timeout to send the standby command to a monitor and "turn it off." So, for example, after 10 minutes windows will tell the monitor to go into standby.

What I'm wondering is: is this an exe file trigger, or something I could run manually? I would LOVE to put a shortcut to kill the monitor in my quicklaunch.

I have done something similar by calling the screensaver exe without actually sending it an arguement of which screensaver to load (just set up a shartcut to C:WINDOWSsystem32scrnsave.scr) which will black out the screen- but I would love to take it one step further.

Any ideas?

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

That's a really good question. Hmmm. I vaguely recall special windows management commands for power management - which would typically involve standby/hibernation/etc.

I'll have to do a google search...

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Ah ha...somebody thought as you did. Try this freeware PowerOff program. Google is wonderful (in the top ten hits for a search for "forcing monitor to turn off", but without the quotes).

http://users.pandora.be/jbosman/poweroff/poweroff.htm

You can also perform these commands in a DOS prompt. Schedule them, do them from remote, etc. Cool stuff!

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Vince, you still around? Have you tried poweroff yet?

5. Elijah

Elijah Supporting Actor

Max,

Thanks for the link to that porgram. I just downloaded it and am looking forward to embedding it into my Home Automation/HT Control setup.

I am planning on using Netremote/Girder/USB-UIRT to control my HT components (receiver, 400 disc dvd changer, xbox (modded with ir conrtol), htpc, projector...) as well as my home automation junx (x10 light control, x10 cameras, security devices (door locks, motion sensors...), thermostats, remote car starting via IR...).

The program that you posted looks like it will fit in well with what I am trying to do, especially since, there will be several touch screens mounted in the wall in several rooms in the house. Having them blank out at a certain time each night automatically will be great, as well has having a "kill" switch for my regular computer.

Thanks.

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hey, no problem! Let me know how it goes...I haven't bothered trying it yet.

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Max,

Simply put, this utility rules. I have installed it on all my machines- and I'm playing with the network commands as we speak. Fun fun.

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

How many machines do you have?

Hmm, I just thought of something: A DVI switcher attached to several PCs running this utility - that would rule!

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Here is another tool that allows you to enable and disable monitors in a multi-monitor setup. Useful when trying to play videogames that only work with one monitor, and you need to disable the other one in a hurry. I suppose it would be useful for movie playback as well, when you don't need the secondary one:

http://www.wyrdrune.com/MonSwitch.html