Windows 98 ->XP QIC Files??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph Bolus, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Hey everyone!

I just upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows XP with a clean install.

XP works great; HOWEVER, I just discovered that the QIC backup files I made under Windows 98 CANNOT BE READ BY THE PROVIDED WINDOWS XP BACKUP/RESTORE utility!!! (Microsoft states that the compression algorithm was changed in the XP version, and they don't even offer a "Restore" facility to read the old QIC's.)

Surely, there is a third party backup/restore facility that runs under XP that can read those Windows 98 QIC files, right??

I mean, I've got a couple of hundred backups on CD-R in QIC format and I've got to be able to get to those files!!

2. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

OK ...

For anybody that's wondering, I've answered my own question on this one!

It seems that a company called "Veritos" wrote the Windows 95/98/ME "Backup/Restore" facility; and they now offer this product as "BackupMyPC" which can be downloaded in a 30 day evaluation version at "www.stompinc.com".

It has no trouble at all reading any and all QIC files created on prior versions of 32-bit Windows; plus it runs just fine under XP!