Windows 98 RIP

Discussion in 'Computers' started by John Watson, Dec 15, 2003.

1. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Well, another date - 16 Jan 2004, MS stops supporting Windows 98. A five year life (and they still send me patches...)

I'd like to be the Doctor who gets to say, Mr Gates, you've been around for over 50 years, it's time we stopped supporting you [​IMG]

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I thought this happened a while ago.

3. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Apparently its about the third "deadline", but the large installed base of 98, and the disappointments with XP, have held MS back.

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Ask any XP user here if they're disappointed with it. Can't remember the last time I crashed.

5. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    It wasn't D.O.A.?

6. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

MS extended it a bit. They completely cease extended support and all production on Windows 98 in all markets with the new year.

7. SteveCop

SteveCop Agent

Win XP Home came installed on my new Dell 8250 that I got 12-15-2002. One year later, the OS has NEVER crashed on me yet, so I'm a happy camper. Win 98SE was on my previous system, and the dreaded BSOD occurred occasionally. I've had a few people tell me they like Win 98, haven't had any stability problems with it, and see no reason to upgrade.
    I guess this means that MS will no longer offer windows updates for 98, correct? Will they still provide downloads for the OS on their web site?

8. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Perhaps the XP OS is more stable, but if it generates myriad new incompatibilities, drives more expensive upgrades of all the third part appliances and softwares, and apparently from all the posts I see even here, prompts all kinds of questions about mysterious new ways of changing more settings, what are we trading up to?

The advice I read (Langa Newsletter) for those who are not in a position to upgrade, or have a positive aversion to XP, was to download all the Windows 98 patches now and save them, so that you will be able to reload the complete final edition of Windows 98 when-or-as required in the future. The implication was they would not be obtainable on line after mid January to licenced users of Windows 98.

As for XP, I'm sure it's like all its predecessors - a work-in-progress.

If I was to get it next year (my plan) will it be an XP SE, or will it be the version that will start by needing 2 years of patching? And with Gates already talking about longhorn [​IMG]

9. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Longhorn isn't supposed to be out until 2006 at the earliest.

10. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

From what I've read, online support will continue for some time to come. You'll still be able to download all the patches. Microsoft will consider fixing any newly discovered bugs and security holes depending on the severity of the problem.

It's the telephone support that is coming to an end. They already ended free telephone support, and in January they're ending $35/incident telephone support. But online web support will continue.

How long should they support it (online)? More than five years, I think.

Would you believe that there are some computers out there that are still getting the job done with MS-DOS?

11. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

12. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

13. Rodon

Rodon Second Unit

??? Who used support on Win98?

14. SteveCop

SteveCop Agent

15. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I think we're confusing the deadlines.

Jan 16 was set for a different deadline;

Windows98 is no longer available to resellers through the distribution channel (period) and all production has stopped and pre-install support is ended.

Which means Microsoft is no longer certifying device drivers, installation routines, or any developer efforts for Win9X.

Just like WinNT4.0, MS will continue patch level support as needed, but they will not produce the actual discs nor installation support [​IMG]

16. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

Been using XP here for two years. Never a crash, so no Microsoft bashing here. [​IMG]

Just had to chime in...

17. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

*laugh* and then MS faxes us today and notes that Win98 Support has been extended to 2006! ARGH!

However, all production of the OS has stopped, and the sell of the OS has been stopped as well.