What's new

Windows 8, Usability disaster (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Does Windows 8 have the same update hell as Windows 7 and XP?

I'm reinstalling Win7 Home (in Parallels on my Mac) and I'm yet again gobsmacked by the (literally) hundreds of updates that require hours and hours of downloading and installing and multiple reboots. Granted, I probably reinstall windows more often than the normal person, since it goes on and off of my Macs as needed. But, wow, installation is like an endurance marathon.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
DaveF said:
Does Windows 8 have the same update hell as Windows 7 and XP?

I'm reinstalling Win7 Home (in Parallels on my Mac) and I'm yet again gobsmacked by the (literally) hundreds of updates that require hours and hours of downloading and installing and multiple reboots. Granted, I probably reinstall windows more often than the normal person, since it goes on and off of my Macs as needed. But, wow, installation is like an endurance marathon.
That's why you have to download "new" installation media that incorporates the updates. That's what most of us Windows folks do.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dave Upton said:
That's why you have to download "new" installation media that incorporates the updates. That's what most of us Windows folks do.
Can you give me a link? I'm familiar with the process for OS X, and finally made a USB key installer for Mavericks. But when I do Windows, I fall back to my original DVD, which requires a day and a half of updates.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
To answer your question, yes. If you get a new machine with 8 on it it can literally take you a whole day to patch 8, update to 8.1 then get the 8.1 update.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
To answer your question, yes. If you get a new machine with 8 on it it can literally take you a whole day to patch 8, update to 8.1 then get the 8.1 update.
Wow. Yeah. I found that out the hard way when I updated my sister's new laptop. What's worse is after it was done, hardly anything looked that different from the previous version, except that they added a power icon and a settings? icon to the start page. Of course they couldn't bother to put those icons on the traditional desktop. They put them on the screen that would normally show on a tablet. Most changes look like they took place under the hood. I wasn't all that impressed.

Good thing I brought it home and did it. That thing was almost a gig with the update and security patches. They would have been into the next tier of the cellular data plan if they had done it themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks