What's new

Windows 8, Usability disaster (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
THEY DID IT.

"There's one screen we didn't talk about and that's the television."

"There's no better experience out there than Xbox."

"Xbox is being actively used in 80 million televisions in living rooms around the world."

"The average user is using it 5 hours per day."

"We're going to enable your universal applications running on the Xbox.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Four words.--------> It is still shit.
I
I
I
I-----------------> And I still can't stand BING.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Where I work is rolling out Windows 7. I expect Windows 8 will be tuned up fine, when I see it in a decade ;)What's this universal apps for xbox? Will they work on my 360?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was thinking of upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8/8.1, but it's probably best I wait on Windows 9?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Unless there's specific needs that only Win 8/8.1 can meet for you, I'd recommend just holding off and staying w/ Win 7. Maybe upgrade to Win 7 Pro perhaps, if you don't have that.

I'm actually considering "downgrading" to Win 7 Pro for my recently purchased, Core i7 Dell PC when I install a newly purchased 256GB SSD in the near future -- I might just keep Win 8 on the HDD, but usually run Win 7 Pro off the SSD instead.

_Man_

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I have no problem losing the Start button (although the swiping sucks), what I truly can't stand is the tile presentation, especially the fact that it's completely divorced from the desktop environment. Hate it, hate it, hate it!
I'm actually considering "downgrading" to Win 7 Pro for my recently purchased, Core i7 Dell PC when I install a newly purchased 256GB SSD in the near future -- I might just keep Win 8 on the HDD, but usually run Win 7 Pro off the SSD instead.
I went that way, but UEFI made it much harder than with previous operating systems. I was probably doing something wrong, but it took me a week and using a USB DVD drive to get past the protection. The forced loaded Win7 still doesn't load all the drivers correctly at boot time, but I'm still happier than with Win8.

I still have Win8 on the computer than my wife also uses, but if they don't provide a way to disable the tile functionality by next fall I'm replacing that one with a Win7 PC.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ManW_TheUncool said:
Unless there's specific needs that only Win 8/8.1 can meet for you, I'd recommend just holding off and staying w/ Win 7. Maybe upgrade to Win 7 Pro perhaps, if you don't have that.

_Man_
I think you're right as now I read they're trying to make Windows 8 more like Windows 7.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Here's the thing. It's ONLY been the front facing stuff I have an issue with. Under the hood 8 is clearly superior. Faster, safer, built for the future. Seven works for now and the forseeable future, but it isn't going to have the long term support 8 is. We'll see on Tuesday how things shake out for most folks, but I remain cautiously optimistic. Assuming the roll backs make the impact they do I will have a very hard time recommending folks go back to 7 after that.

The proof will be in the pudding tho!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks