What's new

Windows 8, Usability disaster (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sam Posten said:
This guy is a tool. Alt-F4 has -always- shut down windows, it still does in Windows 8. Who the heck ever went to start-shutdown-shutdown in Windows 7/XP, when you could just hit Alt-F4? has he not used Windows before?

the more I use 8, the more I have really come to appreciate some of the thinking behind it. The multi-monitor snap is easily one of the most well thought out uses of multiple monitors I've seen, it makes what goes on in Mavericks looks backwards by comparison. But it is the behind the scenes stuff that really, really works for me.. multi-level generations of files (system & security, Files & Settings, Advanced) turns on versioning.. the ability to make sure all versions of your documents still exist.

Integrated iSCSI targetting that works out the gate, and can be dumped into Windows Spaces, an under appreciated disk pooling tool.

The more I use 8, especially 8.1, the more I really appreciate the guts of it; outside of the fact it's blazingly fast in the right configuration, so many things it gets right right off the bat; and it's Skydrive level integration with Windows Phone, XBOX and all your devices makes sense.. everything follows me everywhere, pretty much

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
mattCR said:
Alt-F4 has -always- shut down windows, it still does in Windows 8. Who the heck ever went to start-shutdown-shutdown in Windows 7/XP, when you could just hit Alt-F4? has he not used Windows before?
I admit I do :)We've got Vista at work, and I'm always confused how to power cycle the computer ( when things aren't working right). I have to log off. Then at the login screen, choose more options (I think), then choose restart. I didn't realize alt-f4 still worked.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Parker and Matt are swaying me to jump to Win 8 for my new PC purchase (to be made w/in the next 24 hours). If the guts are significantly improved -- and everything is still accessible enough even though more hidden than before (as seems to happen w/ each Windoze iteration) -- and I can still have the old-style UI w/ no compatibility issues (w/ older software that worked fine in XP, including old Office 2003 or perhaps Office 2007m and w/ current crop of video editing software), then I guess I could probably live w/ it and hope for substantial improvements w/ future SPs.

Probably need to get Start8 or StartIsBack though.

Hmmm... Does VisualStudio 2010 and 2012 (and maybe SqlServer Studio 2008) work w/ Win 8? I would imagine so, but one can never be too sure I guess...

What about browser-based VPN access and remote desktop? Need that for work...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
How is the latest version of IE on Win 8? Maybe I'll even go back to using IE, if it works much better like it used to back in the IE5/6 days. I might actually need to use IE for the browser-based VPN access, but not too sure at the moment...

I would ask coworkers, but don't know anyone offhand who's actually using Win 8 at home (let alone using it for VPN+RDP access to work... in part because the switch to browser-based VPN+RDP is a recent thing for us -- and I still haven't actually made the switch yet myself)...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Spoke to a couple co-workers and went ahead w/ my Dell PC order for WIn 8. If it turns out to be a bad choice, guess I'll see about falling back on our MSDN subscription of Win 7 Pro or something -- had thought we no longer have that option.

Wish Dell would build the PC w/ 2 partitions on that big 1TB drive though...

_Man_

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My nephew got a new laptop for college a few weeks ago and I was tasked with setting it up. I don't know how well 8.1 will actually work but 8.0 seems like a half-baked OS developed by two siblings who can't agree on anything.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
One annoyance I have w/ our new method of VPN access via Cisco's AnyConnect on Win8: it seems to always knock out my connectivity to other machines on my LAN (even after I drop out of VPN) and force me to reboot if I want to reestablish connectivity. Maybe I need to properly set up a Homegroup or something w/ all machines added to it as my Win8 network config seems to fall into some sort of more "secure"(?) default that blocks connectivity w/ other machines. Actually, I wonder if something similar isn't occasionally happening w/ my daughter's Win7 laptop (even w/out using VPN). Problem w/ using Homegroup is I'm not sure if the old XP machine would work w/ that. Likewise w/ the various mobile devices (both iOS and Android) we have... _Man_Sent via HTF mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks