What's new

Windows 8.1 Preview (1 Viewer)

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Well I just spent the better half of two hours fiddling with the refreshed Windows 8.1, and I must say...

pretty good.jpg

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Service Pack update coming soon? Will this already be included in new PCs now?

_Man_

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Set for September. Only Service Pack I remember quicker was Win95b, which fixed USB, but XP sp1 was pretty quick out the gate

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
mattCR said:
Very fast on ssd. Win8 was fast, but this seems to kick it up. Nice upgrade. Wfw3.11 esque
Think I may bite the bullet and get an SSD for this new Win 8 machine as well. Maybe I'll do that after the Win 8.1 SP... Hmmm... wish this thing came w/ RDC server (w/out springing for the Pro version) -- would make life easier...

_Man_

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Gosh Sam, this site has a wonderful "choose to ignore" option.

You're the one and only entry in my list.

Still see your name if you make a new thread, but otherwise you're blocked.

Peace, quiet and tranquility. I don't have to purposely skip over your posts, they just don't show up.

Enjoy

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Okie doke, go nuts. I don't change my style to meet others beliefs about what I should post so if it makes you happy it's there.

Regarding the subject at hand, I don't understand how anyone can argue that not giving technet and MSDN subscribers early access is a good decision.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
That article is pretty misleading. Registered developers all received their copies because all of them were in the open beta development. RD's are different. The reason is because of this:
TechNet is making drastic changes in how it works, altogether this year, in that technet subscribers are going to stop getting final media on everything, they basically made that happen in the spring..

And MSDN is also being changed, because too many people were signing up for MSDN just to get copies of Server+Exchange Server and sell them at a profit.

So, the RD network came about.

This is pretty old news.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
There's a pretty big difference in the focus between typical developers and MSDN / Technet subscribers. I think this is going to be a bigger deal than you do but it's only my gut feeling, we'll see how it plays out in reality.

Personally I gave up my own Technet subscription when they threw the baby out with the illegal seller bathwater. Sad but not unexpected, it was a tremendous value to me and kept me up to date with Windows more than I would have, but when killed it was a bigger incentive to only use Windows for gaming boxes alone and tell family and friends they were on their own with their Windows issue. Worked out pretty great for me.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
They do listen :) I guess those that weren't MSDN's or who weren't downloading the RCs feel left out. FYI, we're still told technet options are being phased out. I agree on Technet, but it is sad how many companies and others were illegally using the software they received.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I inheritied a laptop with Win 8 on it (it originally had Win 7 on it but the guy put Win 8 on it...) so I'll have to try out the Win 8.1 update. I already created a shutdown shortcut so I don't have to go through hoops just to shutdown the damm laptop. Having the start button back is nice and being able to boot to the desktop is nice... It's not a touchscreen...

Jay

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
For Fs sake Microsoft, make your warnings better. "You will have to reinstall your apps" does not mean "Hey we are gonna wipe out floads of directories and no idea what you might have saved in them.

Grrrrrrrrrrr.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sam Posten said:
For Fs sake Microsoft, make your warnings better. "You will have to reinstall your apps" does not mean "Hey we are gonna wipe out floads of directories and no idea what you might have saved in them.

Grrrrrrrrrrr.
What? I've done about 30 8.1 upgrades, and I haven't had any folders wiped out anywhere... what did you lose?
So far, the biggest perks to 8.1 are things I didn't think of but that it does really well.. the new projector interface and VPN on demand are really nice touches; but the battery life boost through better S3 states on laptops and Pro tablets is fantastic.. it was like an instant 20-40% bump in our Lenovo Yoga's..

And, at least you aren't battling this:

g0Zgf6q.jpg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It wiped out my entire sony directory, fortunately I had my UI files and other stuff backed up but I lost all my screenshots. Was my own fault for not backing them up but since the screen cracked I have been treating this laptop as my beater / experimentation device.

Funny image btw.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
What? I've done about 30 8.1 upgrades, and I haven't had any folders wiped out anywhere... what did you lose?
So far, the biggest perks to 8.1 are things I didn't think of but that it does really well.. the new projector interface and VPN on demand are really nice touches; but the battery life boost through better S3 states on laptops and Pro tablets is fantastic.. it was like an instant 20-40% bump in our Lenovo Yoga's..

And, at least you aren't battling this:

g0Zgf6q.jpg
Really don't know exactly how old you have to be to find that pic screechingly hilarious, but I will admit to a Wake the Wife Guffaw!

Users who are viewing this thread