Windows 2000 Service Pack 3

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeAlletto, Aug 1, 2002.

1. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

2. Kolya

Kolya Stunt Coordinator

Q320853 has the list of fixes.

3. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

It also allows you to remove/disable IE, Media Player, and other features to comply with DOJ demands. The same will be true in SP1 for WinXP, due in the next few weeks.

4. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

IE is such an integral part of Windows 2000 that you wouldn't be able to remove it completely. So in that respect, it's not really wasted space.

6. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>IE is such an integral part of Windows 2000 that you wouldn't be able to remove it completely. So in that respect, it's not really wasted space.

7. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I've heard good things about 98Lite too. The problem is that it's not free. You pay for Windows (presuming you do), then pay again to get rid of half of it. Odd, methinks. I understand why people would want to try it, but I think if I was that dead-set against nasty Bill and his terrible apps that I wouldn't bother with Windows at all.
    I agree that MS should make IE easier to remove from an installation, but then again I'm not writing the code or trying to sell the product.
    What I like about IE is that I can click on the icon and the window is up in a half a second. Any other browser takes longer. I like that IE and Windows Explorer are essentially the same thing.
    That said, I found IE 6 to cause my W2K system to run a *tad* slower in some situations. I'm still using 5.01SP2. [​IMG]
    The disc space argument is irrelevent to me. My W2K installation partition uses 1.7gb - and that includes all the apps I use. If you're still running a 1gb hard drive then you have a strong incentive to trim, but in these days of 80gb drives costing well under £100, I don't see space as being a problem.
    I don't really see what is so bad about IE anyway. I tried Opera, and it's nice, but I wasn't that struck by it. It has some very nice features, but the overall browsing experience - for me at least - was no better at all. But then again, I run a firewall and the AdSubtract filtering app so I can control popups, ads, cookies and anything else that crops up. If you want all that integrated into the browser then Opera seems a good choice, but I don't find it intrinsically better than IE simply as a means of surfing the net.

8. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>I've heard good things about 98Lite too. The problem is that it's not free. You pay for Windows (presuming you do), then pay again to get rid of half of it. Odd, methinks. I understand why people would want to try it, but I think if I was that dead-set against nasty Bill and his terrible apps that I wouldn't bother with Windows at all.

9. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

Thanks for the link. Downloading it now - all 124Mb of it! Thank God for broadband [​IMG]

10. Ian Such

Ian Such Stunt Coordinator

I downloaded it late last week, but have held back from applying it until I hear some reports (good/bad)about it [​IMG]

11. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Good grief Ian, how long has it been?