Windows 2000 Pro Problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck Stephens, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Chuck Stephens

Chuck Stephens Stunt Coordinator

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on this little problem i have. When I first start up windows it takes several minutes once it's actually booted for internet explorer or outlook express to work. If I click on them during that period they lock up and don't do anything.

I don't know if I should do a clean install of the OS or what since I've only had this on the machine for about 6 months. I've heard of having to reinstall win95-98 every 6 months or so but never win2000. Any help someone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

2. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

What version of IE/OE are you using? What type of internet connection do you have? Cable, DSL, Dial-up? If you have a broadband connection, are you using a cable/dsl router?

3. Chuck Stephens

Both IE and OE are version 6. I have a cable connection without a router.

4. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

Did you try running Internet Connection Wizard again? In IE, go to Tools / Internet Options / Connections / Setup.

5. Chuck Stephens

I'll try that but i'm getting a sinking feeling that i may have to reinstall windows. Other programs are starting to have problems and my virus checker says there's nothing wrong.