Windows 2000 or Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Jun 1, 2002.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Hey guys, as you might know, i was planning to build a computer, and well, we ordered it, and the parts come in on tuesday or wednesday (itll seem like an eternity :p))

Anyways, i gotta figure out which OS to put on it.

The two main things i want from the OS is:
    - Relatively Stable
    - Not 'bloated', just the essentials

I plan on using it for:
    - Gaming (not hardcore, a playable framerate is good enough)
    - Word processing
    - Internet Surfing
    - Amateur video editing

So, which one? Win2k or WinXP? Thanks...

PS: My computer is an AMD Thunderbird 1.33GHz with 256MB of DDR Ram.

2. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    Definitely XP. Main reason being is that your first use is games. Win2k is not a gaming OS hence it does not play many games.

3. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I am using Windows 2000 Professional and I haven't seen a problem as far as gaming goes. However, if I were putting in a new OS, I would go with the XP. It is the newest platform and the one the newer games are going to be designed for in mind.

Also, Nick, you may want to bump up your RAM to at least 512MB. So many games nowadays are so detailed and layered that having at least half a Gig of memory is becoming essential.

Bruce

4. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I think 2k is fine for gaming - most new games will handle it w/o issue - mosy likely, if you're going ot have an issue, it will be older titles.
    That said, I'm moving my home machines to XP, just to keep it keep it simple. the GF uses XP at work and I want to make it seemless for her to use the machines at home [​IMG]

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, ill probably have to upgrade the ram... just not right now, maybe later...

XP gives me the impression thats its too flashy, whereas Win2k is basic (Kinda like WindowsMediaPlayer7+ compared to WMP6.4). How are the speeds compared to each other?

Im planing to play older games (halflife, DeusEx, Soldier of Fortune, System Shock 2, etc), will Win2k run them?

Im leaning towards XP at the moment...

6. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    NickSo,

I highly recommend XP, but I have further advice if I may. I learned from a hard drive upgrade that it is highly recommended that you do a clean install of XP and not run dual OSs. This does lead to some stability problems. Also, make sure you download all the recent security patches to keep system tip top. I recommend a personal firewall as well.

I have been using XP since it hit the Street and I love it-my system has only crashed twice and they were likely due to some bad CD burner drivers I had.

The bubbly interface is actually great because it is more design oriented and user friendly, but you can always switch to a classic view, although most of my friends are happy with XP. I find it runs very fast compared to previous versions and I like the 20-30 seconds savings of boot time.

8. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I'm still with Windows 98, which seems to become more unstable with each passing day. My (updated) Norton antivirus says there are no viruses, but my screen's doing some funky things.

I believe XP is considered much more stable than '98.

True?

Are there any drawbacks with using XP as opposed to '98?

Thanks!

Jon

9. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Go with XP...there is no reason to run 2k anymore.

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    XP it is then, thanks guys! [​IMG]
    When you have a P166, you really learn to make every processing cycle work for you and not wasted on flashy graphics and unused features, thats why i was so paranoid of the 'bloatedness' of WinXP.

11. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    XP is definitely more stable than 98. I've had many problems with 98 on my IBM 600X notebook, but very few with Windows XP. Certain annoying bugs that have plagued my 98 installation for months (mostly multimedia related) have miraculously dissapeared under XP. And yes, it does crash a lot less frequently. I certainly don't miss the mysterious reboot cycles that occasionally occurred under Windows 98.

On a side note, I still loaded a basic Windows 98 installation on a very small partition so I can perform crucial HD maintenance with the PowerQuest tools (Partition Magic, Drive Image). The PowerQuest tools do have a few problems under Windows XP which could render a partition useless and inaccessible. Also, although the NTFS file system is a more secure file system containing many built-in security features, it could be very difficult to maintain or even rescue such a secure partition if something goes seriously wrong. Because of these reasons, I stayed with the FAT32 file system for now just so that I can keep performing maintenance, backup and rescue operations with the tools available under Windows 98.

12. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson

13. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

XP is to Win2k as Win98 is to Win95.
    It's just a newer version of the same thing.
    I dropped 2K in favor of XP a month or two ago. Desptie my annoyance with MS as a company in general, I don't have any real complaints about either.
    The new WindowsMedia player is 3 steps backward, and no steps forward though.
    XP has built-in skinning ability, but you can hack it into 2K anyway. The old 9x/2k/NT look/feel is simple but boring. The new XP default skin is laughbly bad, in my opinion. But I just tossed a new skin on using StyleXP, and it looks beatiful. [​IMG]
    A few games I have that wouldn't run under 2K do run under XP (old games, strangeley enough...)

14. Nate Nelson

Nate Nelson Stunt Coordinator

I'm running Win2k and have had no problems with it running any games except those old ass DOS based games (because Win2k doesn't support DOS like other Win9x OS's do)
    You can go to www.ntcompatible.com and have a look see at which games work with Win2k and which don't. I've been playing Quake 1/2/3, Jedi Knight 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, GTA3, Half-Life, UT, Tribes2, etc. all fine.
    I would personally go for Win2k over XP because of all that registration crap, but thats just me. Just do us all a favor and stay away from Win98 [​IMG]

15. Grant B

Grant B Producer

if you want to burn dvds & cds don't go with xp!
    it's been nothing but pain.
    i have been tempted to buy 2000 and get rid of XP which came preloaded.
    2.0 Ghz and slow as mud and big brother to boot!

16. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

17. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Well, I've run pretty much every OS MS has had, and right now I'm using XP pro at home, and I will say that for a gaming system it is not so much a step up for Win2k, but there are some things it does better, like actually install/play the game in question. The problem was a few years ago, a few game companies (Electronic Arts was bad with this) would release some games that wouldn't install with Win2k, so you could work around that and get the game installed but then it wouldn't run (Need for Speed, Porsche Unleashed is a good example). I haven't run into anything yet that didn't install and run under XP.

Today with XP, they have merged their home and business OS's together, so you can have the benefits of using the pro edition of the software and still be able to run the games with no problems.

The copy protection registration thing is overblown, I've changed out a few pieces of hardware with no problems so far (video card twice, sound card, network card, added memory, added a hard drive, added a CDRW, changed a CD drive) and never had to do anything to the OS other than load new drivers. When I upgrade the MB and CPU combo I probably will have to do something, but that is still a little ways away yet.

Honestly I wouldn't take a step back in this case.

Andrew

18. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

19. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Ack, back to the drawing board... :p)

20. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer