What's new

Windows 11 information Thursday 24 June 2021 (1 Viewer)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
This morning, I awoke to one of those WTFs???? First off, I'm all too aware my current PC is NOT Windows 11 compatible y Microsoft's definition, and would rather not go the "hacky" route to get there.

View attachment 114947

Also, it appears that I'm somehow enrolled in the Windows Insider Program based on this screenshot? I certainly don't remember signing up for this!
View attachment 114948

Right now, I simply want to stick with my Windows 10 setup as long as I can, as I cannot afford any hardware upgrades. I simply (An incredibly loaded term, I know!) need things to remain as is for as long as possible! Am I out of luck regarding this?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! CHEERS! :)
Tony,

You can leave the insider program pretty easily at this link using your Microsoft account: https://insider.windows.com/en-us/leave-program

I don't believe they will force Windows 11 upgrades - you just see the error message.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Oh great. I wonder how long that "This PC doesn't currently meet ...." message will stay at the update page.
My guess is that annoying message will remain unless and until it DOES meet the requirements for Windows 11, which for my PC will be the twelfth of never, since besides the TPM 2.0 issue, my CPU processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11, either! Basically, I'm SOL! :(
Screenshot 2021-10-05 123015.jpg

It appears Microsoft will continue to allow updates for Windows 10 until support for that OS entirely ceases, with 2025 currently pegged for that timeline. Then I'll really be SOL, LOL!! :P

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
My guess is that annoying message will remain unless and until it DOES meet the requirements for Windows 11, which for my PC will be the twelfth of never, since besides the TPM 2.0 issue, my CPU processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11, either! Basically, I'm SOL! :(
View attachment 115016
It appears Microsoft will continue to allow updates for Windows 10 until support for that OS entirely ceases, with 2025 currently pegged for that timeline. Then I'll really be SOL, LOL!! :P

Pretty sure just clicking the "X" in the upper right of the message will clear it. I got the message this morning that I can run Win 11 on mine. Only that it's not ready to load just yet - they will let me know when it's ready. I clicked the "X" and now it's just a side message on the right side of the Update screen along with the Learn More and Related Links stuff that's usually there.

Thanks Dave, but as it turns out, I was never in it in the first place. Just Microsoft being confusing, as always!

Yeah, that's what it's always said and it does seem to be a bit confusing. You were never enrolled - that just tells you about it. Again, on the right side is the link to join it, and the link to leave it.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
All that clicking on the X did was lead me to this screen with the red X on the left side. This can not be clicked away, unfortunately, unless there's some ridiculous roundabout way of getting rid of this message that I'm not yet aware!
Screenshot 2021-10-06 183208.jpg

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
So this morning I got notification that my computer was ready for Windows 11. Started the download process and then headed off for work. Not sure how long it took to download, but this evening I had to restart and within about 5 minutes, Windows 11 was here.

1634873839936.png

So far, performance wise, everything is pretty snappy. No loss in performance on my desktop (i7-10700K, 32gb). The only negative so far (perhaps I should have know about this ahead of time) is I lost all of my pinned program groups on the Start Menu. Oh, and a bunch of crap was installed (hello bloatware - even if it's minimal, I have zero use for WhatsApp and Messenger and all of the other crap that showed up on my Start Menu.)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I will post some Info on Win 11 compatible premium Dell desktops here.

Intel 8th generation core processors.
Dell Optiplex 3060, 5060, and 7060 models.

Intel 9th generation core processors.
Dell Optiplex 3070, 5070, and 7070 models.

These should be the older and cheapest boxes that support Windows 11. The Optiplex is the higher quality series from Dell and generally come with Win 10 Pro, not Win 10 Home.

Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well I ordered a supposedly Win 11 upgradeable PC.

It's a Dell 3060 tower box. Comes with i5-8500, 16 GB ram, 256 GB SSD, 512 GB HDD, Win 10 Pro, for $360 off eBay.

The larger ram and disc make this a reasonable purchase even at this time. Most used 3060s on offer come with 8 GB ram and one disc.

Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
My new refurb 3060 arrived. I've run the long-time diagnostics which say it's all OK. I then updated from Win 10 2004 to Win 10 21H2. Windows Update has the green check that says it's ready for Win 11. But there's no rush about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks