1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 10 News and User discussion

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Sam Posten, Sep 30, 2014.

1. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Does your system have a "Fn" key? If so, try Fn+PrtSc. I that works it means the Function key operation is now opposite of what it once was. If that works... you'll either have a "hotkey" switch (usually ESC + Fn - if so there's usually a "lock" icon on the ESC key), a vendor supplied keyboard utility, or a BIOS setting. Since you recently had to clear your BIOS I'd suspect that's where it is on your system. Look for a "Function keys" setting and toggle it.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  2. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    OK, this is just really strange!

NONE of the Prt Scn +- other key combos work for me in pasting my screen capture to MS Paint!

However....

By using the Windows 10 Screen Snip program, then the Paste function in Paint DOES work!

This begs the question, did my recent BIOS resetting issues erase EVERY keyboard based Prt Scn option? That seems highly irregular.

CHEERS! :)

3. Chris Strnad

Chris Strnad Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    To my knowledge, PrintScreen by itself would grab everything on the screen(s) whereas Alt-PS would only grab the active window...

4. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    My Windows 10 desktop has a dedicated PrtScn key and when I press it, the entire screen is in the clipboard and ready for pasting within Paint.

If the BIOS was messed with, then perhaps your keyboard is not functioning the way it was originally designed.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  5. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Supposedly, to fix my problem, I'm supposed to do the following:
    Screenshot_20190225-132942.
    Unfortunately, I don't get 4 and/or 5 presented as options. The nearest thing to either I do get is the F12 Boot Menu option within the Main Tab in BIOS, which is already Enabled. I cannot access the listed F1 Help, either! I'm not sure how to go about fixing this.

6. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    In my attempt to update my Acer Aspire BIOS from version 2.02, I ended up receiving a message that I need to first update to v2.04 due to a critical secure mechanism having changed. Further pathways led me to downloading the Windows 10 Driver Support application.

At this point, I've decided to wait until after purchasing the Kingston SSD and performing a Windows 10 clean install. Hopefully, the first part can be taken care of tomorrow.

7. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    If you upgraded your computer from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 it's likely you need the "Launch Manager." From what I'm reading that's what provides function key use on your model.

Here's the direct link:
    https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Application/LaunchManager/LaunchManager_Acer_8.00.8105_W81x64_A.zip?acerid=635344364527435965&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE E1-522&OS=81P1&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

Or get it from this page:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/4730?b=1

You'll have to select Windows 8.1 as the OS to see this application under the "Application" section. It should install OK under Windows 10.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  8. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Thanks, Howie! I'll definitely use one of those links once I've installed Windows 10 on the new SSD. Having previously had Windows 8 on the old HD prior to the Windows 10 launch had its advantages, I suppose. I don't plan to go that route this time, though.

9. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    My Kingston 240 GB SSD is ready for pickup at Canada Computers! :)

BobO'Link likes this.
  10. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    It didn't work, unfortunately. There was no option to select a different OS within the single (As in no multiple tabst) Properties boxes.

11. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I'm not following you... Are you saying the application didn't restore the function key operation or you couldn't find the download?

12. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Upon opening the downloaded Launch file folder, neither the x64 or x86 set up options would install.

13. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Try running it in compatibility mode. Or do a shift + right click on the installer and choose "Run as administrator" from the menu.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  14. Message #934 of 935 Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I tried running the setup for Launch Manager in compatibility mode and ran as administrator, checking Windows 8, 7 (I skipped Vista) and XP. None worked. And no, F2 still doesn't activate BIOS. Windows recovery mode remains my only option for getting into that GUI, at present.

On the upside, my PC boots up really fast now, so there is that! :)

BobO'Link likes this.
  15. Message #935 of 935 Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    With the F2 function not working for the Space Cadet Pinball game I installed last night, I wonder whether my problem could be due to the F2 button on my Laptop having become non functional, period?

I hope to pick up a new Wireless Keyboard in the next day or so. After I do this, I'll give the F2 function on that Keyboard a try, and see what happens.

P.S. I performed the F2 comparison experiment on the Space Cadet Pinball game with the Acer Aspire Laptop and Onscreen Keyboards. The F2 function worked for the Onscreen Keyboard, but not the Acer Aspire Laptop Keyboard. Thus, yet another onboard Laptop Key is no longer functional for me, which is sadly, nothing new! Thank goodness for Wireless Keyboards.