Windows 10 News and User discussion

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here's yet another glitch I've run into with my latest Windows 10 setup. A couple of years back, it was brought to my attention that to Print Screen capture the contents of my monitor and paste it into Microsoft Paint, I just had to press the Windows Key, plus Prt Scn. Now, for some unknown reason, when I attempt this, the Start Menu pops up instead, and the Clip symbol for Paste on MS Paint remains greyed out. :unsure:

Does anyone know a way around this issue? Quick googling didn't uncover any alternative solutions.

CHEERS! :)
Does your system have a "Fn" key? If so, try Fn+PrtSc. I that works it means the Function key operation is now opposite of what it once was. If that works... you'll either have a "hotkey" switch (usually ESC + Fn - if so there's usually a "lock" icon on the ESC key), a vendor supplied keyboard utility, or a BIOS setting. Since you recently had to clear your BIOS I'd suspect that's where it is on your system. Look for a "Function keys" setting and toggle it.

Reactions: Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
OK, this is just really strange!

NONE of the Prt Scn +- other key combos work for me in pasting my screen capture to MS Paint!

However....

By using the Windows 10 Screen Snip program, then the Paste function in Paint DOES work!

This begs the question, did my recent BIOS resetting issues erase EVERY keyboard based Prt Scn option? That seems highly irregular.

Chris Strnad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
To my knowledge, PrintScreen by itself would grab everything on the screen(s) whereas Alt-PS would only grab the active window...

Harry-N

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
My Windows 10 desktop has a dedicated PrtScn key and when I press it, the entire screen is in the clipboard and ready for pasting within Paint.

If the BIOS was messed with, then perhaps your keyboard is not functioning the way it was originally designed.

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
My Windows 10 desktop has a dedicated PrtScn key and when I press it, the entire screen is in the clipboard and ready for pasting within Paint.

If the BIOS was messed with, then perhaps your keyboard is not functioning the way it was originally designed.
Supposedly, to fix my problem, I'm supposed to do the following:
Screenshot_20190225-132942.png

Unfortunately, I don't get 4 and/or 5 presented as options. The nearest thing to either I do get is the F12 Boot Menu option within the Main Tab in BIOS, which is already Enabled. I cannot access the listed F1 Help, either! I'm not sure how to go about fixing this.

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Supposedly, to fix my problem, I'm supposed to do the following:
View attachment 55671
Unfortunately, I don't get 4 and/or 5 presented as options. The nearest thing to either I do get is the F12 Boot Menu option within the Main Tab in BIOS, which is already Enabled. I cannot access the listed F1 Help, either! I'm not sure how to go about fixing this.

In my attempt to update my Acer Aspire BIOS from version 2.02, I ended up receiving a message that I need to first update to v2.04 due to a critical secure mechanism having changed. Further pathways led me to downloading the Windows 10 Driver Support application.

At this point, I've decided to wait until after purchasing the Kingston SSD and performing a Windows 10 clean install. Hopefully, the first part can be taken care of tomorrow.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
If you upgraded your computer from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 it's likely you need the "Launch Manager." From what I'm reading that's what provides function key use on your model.

Here's the direct link:
https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Application/LaunchManager/LaunchManager_Acer_8.00.8105_W81x64_A.zip?acerid=635344364527435965&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE E1-522&OS=81P1&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

Or get it from this page:
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/4730?b=1

You'll have to select Windows 8.1 as the OS to see this application under the "Application" section. It should install OK under Windows 10.

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
If you upgraded your computer from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 it's likely you need the "Launch Manager." From what I'm reading that's what provides function key use on your model.

Here's the direct link:
https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Application/LaunchManager/LaunchManager_Acer_8.00.8105_W81x64_A.zip?acerid=635344364527435965&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE E1-522&OS=81P1&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

You'll have to select Windows 8.1 as the OS to see this application under the "Application" section. It should install OK under Windows 10.
Thanks, Howie! I'll definitely use one of those links once I've installed Windows 10 on the new SSD. Having previously had Windows 8 on the old HD prior to the Windows 10 launch had its advantages, I suppose. I don't plan to go that route this time, though.

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Here's the direct link:

It didn't work, unfortunately. There was no option to select a different OS within the single (As in no multiple tabst) Properties boxes.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It didn't work, unfortunately. There was no option to select a different OS within the single (As in no multiple tabst) Properties boxes.

I'm not following you... Are you saying the application didn't restore the function key operation or you couldn't find the download?

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Try running it in compatibility mode. Or do a shift + right click on the installer and choose "Run as administrator" from the menu.
I tried running the setup for Launch Manager in compatibility mode and ran as administrator, checking Windows 8, 7 (I skipped Vista) and XP. None worked. And no, F2 still doesn't activate BIOS. Windows recovery mode remains my only option for getting into that GUI, at present.

On the upside, my PC boots up really fast now, so there is that! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: BobO'Link

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I tried running the setup for Launch Manager in compatibility mode and ran as administrator, checking Windows 8, 7 (I skipped Vista) and XP. None worked. And no, F2 still doesn't activate BIOS. Windows recovery mode remains my only option for getting into that GUI, at present.

On the upside, my PC boots up really fast now, so there is that! :)

With the F2 function not working for the Space Cadet Pinball game I installed last night, I wonder whether my problem could be due to the F2 button on my Laptop having become non functional, period?

I hope to pick up a new Wireless Keyboard in the next day or so. After I do this, I'll give the F2 function on that Keyboard a try, and see what happens.

P.S. I performed the F2 comparison experiment on the Space Cadet Pinball game with the Acer Aspire Laptop and Onscreen Keyboards. The F2 function worked for the Onscreen Keyboard, but not the Acer Aspire Laptop Keyboard. Thus, yet another onboard Laptop Key is no longer functional for me, which is sadly, nothing new! Thank goodness for Wireless Keyboards.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zakotamota