What's new

Windows 10 News and User discussion (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well the new "Creators" edition of Win 10 (version 1703) installed itself on my machine last evening. It blew off all my saved passwords. It also rendered the scanner functions on my Canon multifunction machine inoperative. Apparently you need to re-install the Canon patch from last October every time Windows undergoes a "major" upgrade. I had the patch saved so I just re-installed it and restarted Win 10. Scanner works again.

See https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...eclass/imageclass-d1120?tab=drivers&downloads for the patch for my machine.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I don't know whether anyone else has experienced this, but after my latest Windows 10 update, some of the power settings were changed on my Laptop. This occurred on my left over Control Panel from Windows 8/8.1. This might be something to watch out for.

CHEERS! :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Aside from the nuisance of Windows randomly rebooting to install these updates, I've had no problems so far, thankfully..

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I get random crashes when shutting down, but I think that's because I'm running Windows 10 Pro on my 2012 MacBook Pro and there's an incompatibility somewhere. Doesn't bother me much because I only use it once or twice a month.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
OK, my latest issue has me baffled!

At the moment, I cannot connect to the internet on any of the browsers on my PC Laptop. And yet, everything on my PC indicates full connection to our Wi-Fi. I even hooked it up by Ethernet to the Wi-Fi modem, and my Windows 10 settings confirm proper connection. Still no dice! I am able to access NetFlix on our Apple TV, and of course, I'm awkwardly typing this on my Wi-Fi connected Android!

Any helpful input would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: OK, a complete restart (As opposed to my initial shut down, then power on again method, which usually works!) fixed the above issue! Still, I've never encountered this before, at least to my recollection! Everything did look copacetic on the surface, whereas any other time, there would be something along the lines of the Laptop not being connected to our Wi-Fi network, or else the internet itself would be down, neither of which applied in this case. Weird! :blink:

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
OK, my latest issue has me baffled!

At the moment, I cannot connect to the internet on any of the browsers on my PC Laptop. And yet, everything on my PC indicates full connection to our Wi-Fi. I even hooked it up by Ethernet to the Wi-Fi modem, and my Windows 10 settings confirm proper connection. Still no dice! I am able to access NetFlix on our Apple TV, and of course, I'm awkwardly typing this on my Wi-Fi connected Android!

Any helpful input would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: OK, a complete restart (As opposed to my initial shut down, then power on again method, which usually works!) fixed the above issue! Still, I've never encountered this before, at least to my recollection! Everything did look copacetic on the surface, whereas any other time, there would be something along the lines of the Laptop not being connected to our Wi-Fi network, or else the internet itself would be down, neither of which applied in this case. Weird! :blink:
I occasionally lose my WI-FI connection for no reason. Took a while to figure out the "user friendly" way to get into things and re-connect it. Win10 is way down on the list of favorite OSs. Came pre-installed on a new laptop, so not much choice, but not happy with it, even a year later.

As you stated, a complete power-down, re-start fixes a lot, but really? It's 2017, shouldn't this kind of crap have been fixed by now?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I occasionally lose my WI-FI connection for no reason. Took a while to figure out the "user friendly" way to get into things and re-connect it. Win10 is way down on the list of favorite OSs. Came pre-installed on a new laptop, so not much choice, but not happy with it, even a year later.

As you stated, a complete power-down, re-start fixes a lot, but really? It's 2017, shouldn't this kind of crap have been fixed by now?
Or at the very least, there should always be some indicator whenever a connection is failing, somewhere!

I've also noticed that whenever there are Windows 10 updates waiting in the queue, all functions seem to slow down to a crawl. In fact, on multiple occasions, this has served as a cue for me to check for updates, which proves to be the case most of the time - Very annoying!

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
What do you guys have on your computers that gives you all such problems? I have different flavors of Win 10 running on four computers (and one on the Apple) and never a problem. Any computer you buy with OS pre-installed I recommend wiping and re-installing yourself without the additional crap that typically gets put on by manufacturers.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
What do you guys have on your computers that gives you all such problems? I have different flavors of Win 10 running on four computers (and one on the Apple) and never a problem. Any computer you buy with OS pre-installed I recommend wiping and re-installing yourself without the additional crap that typically gets put on by manufacturers.

Not a chance. The headaches I've already been through, can't imagine how much worse it would be to start again. And this is coming from an IT nerd with 25 years of experience. No DVD/CD to install from, so I'd have to purchase it, followed by probably a few hundred hours of patches, service packs, upgrades... Sometimes you just give up. :D

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Not a chance. The headaches I've already been through, can't imagine how much worse it would be to start again. And this is coming from an IT nerd with 25 years of experience. No DVD/CD to install from, so I'd have to purchase it, followed by probably a few hundred hours of patches, service packs, upgrades... Sometimes you just give up. :D
That was also suggested to me, as I hadn't perform a clean install over Windows 8.1 when I upgraded to Windows 10 two years ago, and I was having some issues with certain programs at the time. Short of total OS failure, it ain't gonna happen! I believe going the route that I did allowed for some of the Windows 8 options that I actually liked, to remain on my garden variety Windows 10 OS!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What Windows 8 features remain in place as "bonus" by doing an in-place upgrade instead of a clean upgrade?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
What Windows 8 features remain in place as "bonus" by doing an in-place upgrade instead of a clean upgrade?
I upgraded from Win7 to Win10. This preserved the very nice backup and restore utilities built into Win7 that are lacking in Win10. Win10 wants you to back up to the "cloud" so that Microsoft can examine your data. The Win7 lets you do an image backup to a separate hard drive or to a series of DVD-R.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Get the media yourself:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Or use the "Media Creation Tool" to get what you need:

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

The Windows 8 based Control Panel, for one. I have access to both that and the Windows 10 based Windows Settings Menu.
The Control Panel is still available in WIndows 10. They took it off the Right Click Start Menu with the "Creators Update" but you can still easily bring it up by going to settings and searching for "Control Panel." It'll be the only result.

It's incredibly annoying that they hide it but still rely on it for a significant number of settings. They need to decide on one or the other and put everything in one location. Frankly, I'd prefer the Control Panel but if they'd put everything in "Settings" I'd be OK with it. That the OS is still far from polished and logical (OK... it's MS and nothing is going to be "logical") this far in is astounding.
I upgraded from Win7 to Win10. This preserved the very nice backup and restore utilities built into Win7 that are lacking in Win10. Win10 wants you to back up to the "cloud" so that Microsoft can examine your data. The Win7 lets you do an image backup to a separate hard drive or to a series of DVD-R.
IIRC Windows 10 still allows backups to HD or disc (I don't use it and we don't allow it on the domain - put your "stuff" on flash drive or the server. If your system craps out we just reimage it). It may be more difficult if you log in using a MS account. The best way to use Win10 is to *not* use a MS account but use a local only account as you've done with every MS OS. They make it more difficult to do this and try to imply you must have a MS account but it's not necessary and fairly easy to break that cloud connection.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

I use Macrium Reflect Free.
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

I still don't understand Windows backup options. (Mac is so much simpler to me for backups.) But macrium is manageable, robust and free. Acronis reviews very well too, but I've not used it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My Windows 10 experience has been fine.

But I had a forced Update last night (well, I guess any update is forced) and today got a popup screen saying I got a "Windows Creator" update and giving me all sorts of options to learn more about 3-D functionality, Microsoft Edge stuff, etc.

That's bullshit.

I want non-intrusive updates to provide patches, etc. And if there are going to be major software upgrades, they should be optional.

I'm not even using Edge.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Win10 is automatic updates. You can set preferred download times. But after 25 years of being the security nightmare, in part because owners don't install updates, they're trying to fix it by having patches and updates be automatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks