What's new

Windows 10 2010 (20H2) Update rollout issues (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Greetings Earthlings. Windows 10 2010, the October update, appears to be shortly available for the general user.

So far I have not seen it in Windows Update on my machines. It appears to be a much smaller update than Win 10 2004 was a few months back.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'll update to 20H2 sometime in early 2021, before 21H1 is released. I won't bother with 2004.

I'm currently still on 1909, which goes eos sometime in early-mid 2021 (probably April or May).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
My main issue with upgrading vs. not upgrading, has to do with security holes being patched up every month. I don't care much about new features and other useless new junk.

Once an older version goes eos, there are no more free monthly security patches.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I did the update to 20H2 and for some reason my laptop would not wake up from sleep or hibernate and then i had issues with Microsoft Edge not working so i am back to version 1903 and it works fine.

Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well my two invites arrived yesterday (Tuesday). The 20H2 updates installed without any drama. What's interesting is that the "date installed" shown in the System/About display is in June 2020, back when I installed the 2004 update. This may show that the 20H2 update is just a small update to 2004.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Decided to update yesterday.

It took around 5 hours to update from 1909 to 20H2.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I did a recent update BUT it does not wake up from sleep mode. I would put it to sleep and when i want to wake it up i just get a black screen and then it re-starts it's self. Did a Google search and tried all the fixes but they did not work. So now i just re-set my laptop clean and put a hold on any new Windows updates.

Tony Williams

Auditioning
There must be a problem with a new Windows Update for Laptops. I have three HPs, one desktop and 2 Laptops.
Laptop# 1 is a premium 2009 8GB Ram/500 GB hard drive model which ran great the last time I used it a month ago.
The same with Laptop#2 which is a year and a half old and also ran great the last time used around 3 weeks ago. Mainly use the desktop since Covid a year ago with no problems. Use #2 when traveling and as a backup to the desktop. Last week I had major problems with both lap tops. Extremely slow to boot. No mention of update but suspect that is what is occurring. It took 5 hours for my tech services to fix #2 with what appeared to be hard drive(?) problem. It still appears to be slow with certain events even though it has 12GB of Ram and 1/3 full 2TB hard drive. #1 now boots quickly for a 12 year old laptop after taking 45 minutes for initial boot up. Now every time I click on a tab a selection menu appears. Since neither was used and both had bootup problems one would think it is a Microsoft Windows 365 update problem???

Bill_S_25

Auditioning
When ever my system starts acting flaky I run the dism and fsc commands. See
It has found problems a few times. Windows reset under recovery now allows a clean install from the cloud and still keep user data. Programs need to be reinstalled though. Don't have to install all the updates though. I just went through all this.

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
I'm in the computer industry and subscribe to numerous email weekly's that are available. In several of them I've seen mention of blue screens and lock ups with the newest update so perhaps there are some issues with it in general. I always have my updates set for delay because I'm not a fan of being anyone's beta tester.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I noticed the new update took away the hibernate and other options. Did a factory reset and paused the new updates and my laptop runs much better and starts up after in sleep mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks