What's new

Windowboxing (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I mentioned this in the It's A Wonderful Life thread, but windowboxing appears in all sorts of ways so I thought I would give it its own thread. In the case of Life, the credits at the end are windowboxed, but there is a bit less picture information on the top and bottom compared to the non-windowboxed version. And the latter doesn't suffer from cropping on the sides. So why would Paramount windowbox something that didn't need it, and why is there cropping? Would this have been consistent with a print image aread compared to the negative image area (ala the previous release.) In other words, how much image would an Academy ratio print crop from its negative origins? And how do you guys feel about the general issue of windowboxing?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I blame Japan, they have this bizarre obsession with windowboxing and as a result most of their dvd transfers are crap.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I'm a bit confused. Does windowboxing slightly crop the top and bottom of the frame?

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
I can unerstand it's use for title sequences but I'm against windowboxing an entire movie, which Criterion continues to do.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
So, if windowboxed, there is a chance that it actually shows more than a projected image in the 1930's? Didn't the Academy Ratio shrink the height of the negative image?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks