window ME or window XP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce Abar, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Bruce Abar

Bruce Abar Stunt Coordinator

What operating system would you recommend.Is window me better then XP or the other way around? Any down falls to the new window Xp, or should I upgrade to xp from ME?

2. Alan Curry

Alan Curry Agent

My father asked me this very same question. I told him it was better to go with XP over ME. From what I read, ME was very buggy.

Hope this helps.

Alan

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

XP hands down. I've used 95/98/NT/2000 and XP is definitely the wave of the future for MS. It's not perfect, but at least they've unified the code, and the future support of MS will be on this platform...at least until XP2 or whatever the hell they'll call it comes out.

4. Liam S

Liam S Stunt Coordinator

Most people will tell you that ME sucks, but I never had a problem with it. Actually I thought it was microsoft's best 9x kernel OS. I'm also impressed with XP professional, although this is only from seeing it running on friends' computers. I tried it twice on my computer, with it screwing up both times. First time was a problem with my video card (Abit Siluro MX400TV), but since then they've fixed that. Last weekend I tried installing it again, but this time my sound card (philips accoustic edge 5.1) gave me problems. Check your hardware to make sure there are drivers that will work in XP. If it's all good, I'd say to go for it. If your hardware won't work, go for Win2000. After switching to the NT kernel, you'll never go back to 9x (maybe for games).

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Liam brings up a good point. Although it should work with most older equipment, sometimes XP is a little finicky upon install. There are already a couple of patches for program/hardware compatibility from MS's official download site (access it from IE's Windows Update link).

If you do ever install an OS from Microsoft, I highly hope you have DSL or cable modem because the patches and SPs (service packs) are a bitch to download from regular modem, but are pretty much essential.

6. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I would also recommend that you check and see if there is a new XP driver for your Video Card, Sound Card etc...

Despite what MS has stated, there are some compatabilty issues if you don't have an "XP" driver for certain devices.

7. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

Liam, Download the new WDM drivers from the Phillips Acoustic Edge support site. I am using this card on XP without a problem.

Ted

8. Liam S

Liam S Stunt Coordinator

No wonder I never found the new drivers. I couldn't find the drivers looking through www.philips.com but just now remembered to go to www.pcsound.philips.com. Ted, thanks for letting me know it works fine in XP. I guess I'll give XP another shot sometime.

9. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

My relative runs an Me box, and has not had a single problem. I did a clean install of Me and have had nothing but problems. I can't begin to figure out why this is so. XP seems solid. I would recommend XP based on these experiences.

10. Liam S

Liam S Stunt Coordinator

I think USB mice give ME a hard time. Everyone I know with a USB mouse who tried ME had problems, and everyone using a PS/2 mouse liked it.

11. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

I've had XP a month and I haven't crashed yet.