Windjammer: The Voyage of the Christian Radich new restoration

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Strohmaier, May 6, 2017.

1. nara

nara Screenwriter

Hugh
    Looking forward to seeing this at Bradford in October.

Great work! :cheers:

2. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    As someone who deliberately bought an out-of-print Criterion DVD of Seven Samurai for $100, just because it had a restoration demo that the then-current copy did not, I totally appreciate this.

I already have a copy of Windjammer and I will have it again once this comes out.

3. Strohmaier

Strohmaier Stunt Coordinator

DAvid Strohmaier

4. Strohmaier

DAvid Strohmaier
    Sorry Michel but it is not feasible, as I have stated in earlier posts on the subject of our Cinerama remasterings, as many others in this forum are aware.

Since “Seven Wonders” finished a few years ago we have not been supported financially by Cinerama Inc. or Flicker Alley, it is all done with 4 volunteers, some special rates and even donations from post houses with some funding from a few widescreen fans. We don’t have the organization and probably stamina that our pal Bob Furmanek has to go any further than we have. You should also know that the restoration team volunteers do not get any financial return for any of this. Our reward is simply to get it done as best as we can.

There is no major or minor studio involved here who are protecting their assets, it’s just us crazy fans doing what we can. Yes we did try the Norwegian government, their film institute, and national library also NRK TV (Norwegian Television), who quite frankly should have been the sponsors of this particular film since the ship is something like our Old Ironsides to them. Sometimes we just got a simple no and sometimes no response at all. So it was up to us to pull this together by our bootstraps not even knowing if we could actually finish it or not.

I understand enthusiasts always want the next best thing, and can’t understand why it was not done 4K or 6K, maybe in a few years they will want 9K who knows. Also quite frankly the sales of titles like this only do a little better than break even for our distributor, who believes as we do that these old films should get released and their support is critical to keeping the flame going.

Often we show these film in a theatrical setting and although the are only 2K DCPs they look better simply because we started with higher res scans, often we are told they look like 4K and people are surprised they are not.

FYI the funds that were donated for this project totaled a whopping $17,000. I myself put in 3K of that,
    and those funds were all involved with the scanning not the actual restoration efforts, the restoration was all donated time and personal computers, I guess we just need to get a life! -- or better yet time to retire!

5. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Well said, Dave. You have done absolutely remarkable and amazing work on a shoestring budget. I can certainly relate.

Many people do not realize the massive amount of work that goes into a restoration like this. To say that it is a labor of love would be an understatement.

The next time we get together, let's pool our financial resources and split a large cup of coffee! :)

6. Strohmaier

DAvid Strohmaier
    No- I will buy you lunch at the Smokehouse so we can talk war stories!

7. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

That sounds good to me!

8. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Hold on there, boys - Smoke House? I'm coming, too, and I can finally get my Scent of Mystery discs. Let's DO this.

As to Mr. Hafner's post - send Mr. Strohmaier a check for the UHD release - I'm sure he'll be happy to do it. And let me, in advance, tell you how many copies those legions of Cinerama fans would buy - ten. Maybe. UHD makes a niche market look like a niche market look like a niche market, even the biggest of the titles. And please don't tell me otherwise.

9. Strohmaier

DAvid Strohmaier
    your invited Bruce I have 5 copes for you.

10. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Let me know the date - garlic cheese bread, baby.

Ken Koc likes this.
  11. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Screenwriter

So this a 2K restoration? Still worthwhile on UHD as many 2K based UHDs prove. What are the fixed and variable costs to release on UHD these days?

12. Strohmaier

DAvid Strohmaier
    Don't know about UHD prices

Yes it was a 2K restoration.

I do know that Blu ray would be about $16-17,000. for a run of about about 2,500 units. Thats what it was for "Holiday in Spain" anyway back in 2015.

13. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
  14. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Supporting Actor

Peter
    Yes, Cinerama did have it's technical limitations but don't forget that filming started way back in the late forties. For those of us who managed to see all the Cinerama films in cinemas ,it is still perhaps the greatest of all of the cinema projection systems. There never was and probably never will be, a more audience engulfing spectacle.

john a hunter and nara like this.
  15. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
  16. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I too would gladly be in on a new disc with this latest version of the restoration :)

17. john a hunter

john a hunter Supporting Actor

Have I missed something here. I thought the new restoration WAS being released.
    Now I am disappointed if this is not the case.
    Needless to say I would buy one immediately .:mellow:

18. Josh Steinberg

Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I think, like the newer version of This Is Cinerama, that it's now available to repertory theaters as a DCP, but that there isn't yet a firm plan to put them out on disc. I'd definitely buy it if they did.

19. Strohmaier

DAvid Strohmaier
    Currently the plan is to release both "This Is Cinerama" and "Windjammer" in the late Spring of 2018.

Some of our former bonus extras will be updated with the new restored footage. The 1- hour Windjammer Documentary "A Cinemiracle Adventure" for Windjammer and the 1-hour documentary "Best In The Biz" (about all the Cinerama music composers) slated for "This IS Cinerama".

Besides showing on Widescreen Weekend's Cinerama screen this October- "Windjammer" will also screen theatrically in Oslo, Norway slated for a TBD date in mid May. There are now some early talks about showing both films in Amsterdam and Paris and possibly in NY sometime in March.

------

Happy to report that all of our restored digital files are in the process being turned over to a company called Digital Bedrock for conservation/Preservation and migration to any future digital format.

www.digitalbedrock.com

Dave

20. Josh Steinberg

Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I'm in!

And if that works out, I'll be there! :)

Ken Koc likes this.