Windfall - ongoing thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Premise - a group of 20 people win the lottery. See how their lives change after becoming instant millionaires. Airs on NBC in the 10 p.m. EDT timeslot (typically E.R.'s timeslot, but it's summer, so the slot goes to Windfall for now).

2. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Well it sounds better than ER reruns, because who wants to see those doctors cut open all those same patients AGAIN...

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The reviews haven't been kind to this show, though, so I'm not expecting too much, but hey, it is "new" and not a rerun.

4. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

Jason Gedrick is in it. It's doomed.

See "Murder One", "EZ Streets", "Falcone", "The Beast", and "Boomtown" if you need further evidence.

Brad

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Haha, he's the male equivalent of Paula Marshall.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It was pretty much average, but I already got tired of the Gedrick/Parilla subplot after 20 minutes. For some reason, most of the "dramatic" subplots seem to be just a hodge-podge of "bad things that happen to lottery winners" without developing interesting characters first.

7. PatH

PatH Second Unit

Haven't watched it yet, but like Patrick says, I expect it to end up as "nothing good ever happens to a lottery winner." Perhaps true, but I wish Megamillions would give me a shot. [​IMG]

8. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Between the ridiculous Russian bride bit, the claim of paternity, and the murderer, I just couldn't get into the characters.

None of the characters had enough time for you to really like them, but several had enough time for you to not like them. The murder plot was ridiculous. The Russian Bride bit.. garg. And as another character pointed out, resolving paternity is an easy one.

It's a neat idea, but it's not very well developed.

9. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

What'll happen is they'll set up a bunch of things; blackmail, infidelity, murder, suck people in and then it will get cancelled.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

6/22/06

You know it's pretty bad when I knew what the resolution was going to be for the 20th person to step forward and lay claim to their share of the lottery winnings, and having the money frozen by legal manueverings until the delivery woman was "stripped" of her winnings. It was painfully obvious how it would be resolved. I barely recognized Nikki Deloach (previously blonde on "North Shore") as the 20th person wanting their fair share.

The rest of the subplots are pretty uncompelling or just plain dumb. If the Braves were more compelling on TV, I'd pay full attention to them, but it's a tough call to have which playing in the background.

11. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

I was only half watching the last episode. Wasn't there a list that was signed by everyone who put a buck in? Did they give a reason for why that list wasn't consulted? [​IMG]

12. Gene S

Gene S Agent

Yes there was a list, and they didn't bring it up. Nor did they go into the fact that there was a kitchen full of whitenesses when that Pizza delivery girl put in her dollar.

13. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Freudian slip? [​IMG] Thanks.