1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Windex Glass and Surface Wipes - Safe for discs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RudyN, Mar 18, 2003.

1. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    After getting back some DVDs from a friend(who is no longer allowed to borrow discs), I noticed quite a bit of fingerprints and some scratches. Is it safe to use these wipes on the discs? The scratches don't seem to be too bad so I'm not really concerned with them, but I'd like to get all the fingerprints off without causing more scratches. Anyone use these?

2. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I just dropped about 10 bucks on one of those Maxell rotating disc cleaners, and it's worked well for me. Othewise a soft cloth and some clean, running water.

3. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    Where did you pick up the Maxell cleaner? I used to have a really good cleaner but lost it during a move.

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i know some people who swear by pledge spray wax.

it's true.

i wouldnt do it. but they swear by it.

5. JustinCleveland

Justin Cleveland
    I wouldn't THINK of using pledge. Just me.

I picked up my cleaner at K-Mart, of all places. It's called a DVD/CD cleaner, and they just look like portable CD players. You spritz the cleaner on the disc, put it in the spinner, crank it around a couple of times, and volia.

6. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    Great, there is a Kmart done the street from me. I'll have to go check that out. So no one uses the wipes? I've used it on my monitor and tv, but it seems to leave residue behind.

7. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I would NOT recommend using the Windex wipes. There is a possibility that you would get some of the liquid onto the printed side of the DVD, and it may remove the ink!

I wouldn't do it. Just breathe lightly on it, then wipe with a microcloth that is often sold in eye-wear stores.

8. WilliamJulien

Windex is formulated to clean glass. I have never seen a glass DVD, so why would you think it is okay? DVD's are made of PVC and PVC is slightly porous. So any chemical you place on the surface will be absorbed. While Windex (and other cleaners like soap or Pledge) may cause no long term damage, why take a chance? Over time Windex may yellow the surface and make unplayable.

9. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez

10. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

11. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

I've used eyeglass cleaner and a microcloth for cleaning discs in the past. The discs seem no worse for wear. I have had rental discs that glitched and broke up quite often. After giving them a cleaning using the previous method, almost all of the discs played without further problems. The only disc that wouldn't play was "Triumph of the Will" and that was some kind of authoring problem. My player (Toshiba 3109) wouldn't even read the disc.

12. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

eyeglass cleaner is mostly alcohol and probably wouldn't be a problem. Just don't use anythign with ammonia like windex.

13. JustinCleveland

Justin Cleveland
    . . .

Nobody else has said this, so I might as well. . .

Windex cures EVERYTHING. :b

And Dave, thanks for that link... but does that stuff actually work??

14. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I wouldn't post the link if it didn't work. [​IMG] Every DVD owner should have it in his/her collection, IMO.

-Dave

15. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I just put a dab of mild dish soap on the disc, lightly rub with my thumb as I rinse with warm water. Clean as could be!

Wes

16. RichardJS

RichardJS Extra

I agree with the mild soap. I recently had a rental disk with a large very greasy finger print that was causing the disk to skip and the following worked great.
    - rinse the disk well with warm water to remove any dust or grit (might scratch the disk when you wipe it)
    - used mild soap and my finger (a soft cloth might be better) to wipe the disk radially. I wiped radially to ensure if there was a scratch it did not cut through sequential data.
    - rinse again with lots of warm water.
    - using soft paper towel laying on the counter (several sheets thick), I just placed the disk on the towel and removed it with no wiping. I did this several times on a dry spot every time, both sides, to completely dry the disk.

After this it looked like new (except for the scratches)

17. RichardJS

RichardJS Extra

Sorry, I should point out that in the above post, all the scratches where there before the cleaning (it was a rental disk after all).

- Richard

18. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

19. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Anything safe for coated optics (camera lenses) or plastic eyeglasses should be gentle enough to clean a DVD. I would generally recommend dry lens cleaning tissues first, followed by a drop of cleaning liquid with the tissue if the tissue alone doesn't work.

-Scott

20. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

And if you're going to wipe a DVD, remember to start from the center and wipe towards the edge! DO NOT go around in circles! Hopefully everyone knows why.