win xp to win 98 drivers

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Diallo B, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

folks,

summary:

i have an end user that just bought a new computer with xp on it. however they have programs that can only run on 98 or ME. i attempted to use the compatibility program with no success. so, i am going to wipe the hard drive and make a win xp partition and a win 98se partition.

problem:

there is no way for me to track down win 98 drivers for this current computer as they probably do not exist.

query:

is it possible to use win xp drivers on the win 98 partition???

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

It really depends on the piece of hardware and the driver, but I would think there are many new drivers that would. Don't think anyone can give a definitive answer, you'll just have to experiment.

3. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

It depends on the driver. If you are talking about display drivers, there is absolutely no way. If it's a driver based on WDM, there is a chance that it could work (although I'm not sure how many new WDM drivers are thoroughly tested on Windows 98).

4. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

well i am going to experiment this weekend and see what happens. i'll report back.

5. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

I wouldn't be so sure about not finding those drivers. . . I have an old laptop which I can only run windows 95 on due to the small amount of ram on it. I get my drivers from http://www.driverguide.com they keep a repository of archaic drivers for older OS's.