Win XP Startup question re automatic DSL connection

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris Bardon, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I've noticed that my computer Win XP Pro machine is taking far too long to start up, but only after the login screen. The nearest I can figure, this is due to Norton Anti-Virus starting in the background, and attempting to do an automatic live update check without an internet connection, and timing out after about 60-90 seconds or eating the CPU. I tried automating my DSL connection by putting a shortcut in the startup group, but the DSL connection was only run after the norton timeout. Running msconfig confirmed that the network shortcut came after norton in the hierarchy. Is there a way to either automate the DSL connection process using the XP dialer other than a shortcut to the startup (perhaps a registry key), or is there a way to reorder the priorities of startup tasks to happen in a particular order?

2. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Why don't you just disable the Norton Auto-Update feature and do it yourself every week. Then you can just connect to the DSL using the shortcut and then update Norton.

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Sounds like you don't have a hardware router/firewall -- get one. Have it do the DSL connection, which will then be "live" all the time or on-demand. Then the computer will be setup to simply use an existing network; no login, no muss, no fuss.

//Ken

4. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

My guess is that Chris B has a not always on DSL connection with an internal DSL modem.... If that is the case he would not be able to use a router to do the connection for him. Is this the Case? If not the router (linksys or simmilar) would be the way to go.

I know of no way to reorder what starts first in your startup folder... I would disable the auto update and just make a habbit of running it whenever you think about it. Set up a reminder in your e-mail client.

Good luck

5. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Can't you also schedule Norton through Windows Task Scheduler to check daily or every other day or whatever? Then there is no human memory/intervention required.

6. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Actually, I have an external DSL modem that shares just fine by just using a plain 8 port hub. Since this was free, and a router is not, I think I'll stick with this solution for now.

You're right that changing the norton settings would be the simplest way to go, but this has got me curious. There has to be a way to prioritize startup tasks-to make one a dependency of the other.

7. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Just an idea, but you can use task scheduler to run a program every time you log on to your computer, after you set up the task, go into advanced, click on the settings tab, under the Idle Time area click the check box next to "Only start the task if the computer has been idle for at least:" and then set the time to like 1 minute.

This way the task will run after you have logged on and when you aren't doing anything on it for a minute or two. Which would definitely give your internet connection time to get established.

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer