Win XP question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip Hamm, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have Windows XP sitting here ready to install.

My question is this: Can I use Windows 2000 drivers for non "XP Certified" hardware? Specifically my Actiontec 1394 Firewire card (which I just bought last week) and Visioneer 6100USB scanner.

I downloaded the "Upgrade Advisor" from Microsoft support web site and it friggin blows up instead of creating a report.

2. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

You can try it, and a LOT of the non XP certified drivers work with no problem whatsoever. I have a lot of them in my systems, I think the worst ever happen was they don't work, never had a case that a non certified driver damaged my systems.

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Philip, let's put it this way.

Nvidia videocard drivers have not passed Microsoft certification.

I think that says enough[​IMG]

4. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I usually fall back on the Windows 2000 drivers when the Windows XP drivers are either not available or inadequate. The Windows XP drivers for my notebook's graphics chip didn't support the TV out feature built into the computer while the Windows 2000 drivers did. My desktop computer is loaded with the Windows 2000 VFW drivers for the Hauppauge TV tuner card instead of the Windows XP WDM drivers so that NetMeeting and VirtualDub can properly see the card. In both cases, the computers are operating normally and are completly stable.

If you're planning to install XP on a computer loaded with another Windows operating system, back up all your data from the hard drive and perform a clean install. It's the path that will give you the least number of problems.