What's new

Win XP and Microphone??? (1 Viewer)

Dan M~

Second Unit
Just loaded Windows XP on my Pentium machine with a built in sound card (Asus P4S533 w/ C-Media CMI-8738 Chip) and now my microphone does not work (it did when running Win 98).

I've tried another mic, but no luck. It is plugged into the mic jack, not the line or speakers.

When I go to Control Panel - Sound and Audio Devices - Voice Tab :
The "Test Hardware" hears no sound for mic setup.
Under Voice Recording the Default Device is C-Media Wave Device but the Advanced button is greyed out (unable to pick).
The mic is selected under the Volume button - recording control and volume maxed out.

Help, what am I missing?

I need the mic for Yahoo Messenger.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
You may need to download the latest drivers for your hardware. Check the manufacturers page and see if that helps.

Dan M~

Second Unit
Kyle, Thanks for the input.

I went to the ASUS Drivers Site and downloaded the latest Audio drivers for Win XP (cm288b_xp.zip). When I open the zip file there is not an "install" executable. How do I get the 12 enclosed files onto my computer? There are .dll's, .cat's, .inf's, .dat's and a "CMUninstl.exe" and a "Mixer.exe".

There are other driver .zip packages (for video, etc.) I would like to load too. They seem to not have .exe's either.

Help!

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
You need to go to control panel, system, the hardware tab, pick your device, go to the driver tab, and reinstall driver, if memory serves me correctly.

Dan M~

Second Unit
Hi James,

Will that process grab all 12 files and install them in the proper location(s)?

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
check too to see if your mic boost is on. It can be way to quiet unless its checked off.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
The important one to pick out is your main audio device, I'm not familiar with that things onboard sound but you should be able to pick it out. If you can't figure it out post everything that shows up under the audio controller section.

Dan M~

Second Unit
Thanks for all the help...

I have the latest drivers already loaded. When I direct the device manager to the new drivers I get a message about already having the latest installed.

Michael Hein - Thanks, I did turn the boost on before, but now I can't find where that check box "hides".

The mic is still not working, any new ideas?

Thanks, Dan

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Ok try this Dan to find the mic boost. Although I don't think its your current issue you may need to turn it on once you get it working, so here's how.

start--->control panel--->sounds and audio devices...in the DEVICE VOLUME area click on advanced. The master volume control should come up, you get the volume of many different controls like Master, Wave, Synth, CD Player, Line In, Microphone ....click on advanced in microphone and it should now come up.

I wish I could help you better, I know how frustrating setting up a mic can be especially since its usually something simple overlooked. Your onboard sound too might be the problem, sometimes these can be very troublesome with certain audio applications.

Oh yeah, does your mic take a battery by chance? Mine does, one single AA that you would never know about unless you took it apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks