Win XP and drive formats

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Ok, thinking of giving XP another try, but there were a couple of things I wasn't too sure about:
    I'm pretty sure that XP uses NTFS, but are you still able to share files with a FAT32 machine? Some of the other machines on my network are running 98, and I'd still like to be able to share files with them.
    What sort of compatability issues have people run into with software. I think that most recent games should be fine, but I'm thinking about stuff that's either a couple years old (like UT, Quake 3 etc) or smaller utilities (Cute FTP, CDRWIN, CloneCD etc). Rather not have to find replacements for all of these.
    What sort of decrease in performance can I expect from the OS-I know that it's got a LOT more overhead than 98 (just from system requirements on games), and just a little worried that some of the benefits might get lost. I'm running a P4 1.6 at 2.13 GHz with 512 Mb, so I'm not all that worried, but I want to get the best performance possible.

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

You can run XP with FAT32, if you wish. Also, I believe if you're using NTFS, you can access FAT32 files on other machines, just not vice-versa.

I've yet to run into anything, new or old that doesn't run under XP. From the ones you mentioned, I have personal experience with all but CDRWIN & CloneCD.

With specs like that, you should see performance INcreases.

3. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Interesting-I just realized that I can access the files on my Roommate's NTFS machine from my Fat 32 machine without any problems-looks like it should work. Main problem is that I'm looking at using the other machines on the network to back up data to, and I'd rather not find out that I can't access them afterwards.

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    You mean share files like a network file sharing???

It works fine for me with my Windows XP pro and my P120 with Win98 playing MP3s across my network...

5. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

6. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

You'll never believe this, but I'm upgrading win98 to XP PRO on a Pentium 166 with 64 RAM. I already have XP PRO successfully running on a 166 @ 266 with 64 RAM. I wonder how this older slower machine will run it. So far, the installation didn't bitch about the CPU speed, so, it should be ok. I'll let ya know how it goes.

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Wow ken really?! I gotta know the results to this, im considering putting XPPro on my dad's notbeook, a cerleon 433 with 192MB ram... If itll run on a P166, itll run on the celeron for sure...

8. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    WinXP runs on my P233MMX 64MB RAM notebook. Boot-up and program loading are a little slower than when I had Win98 on there, but it's usable.

9. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Ok, got XP PRO working on that machine now. ON the first boot, it gotta BSOD. So I booted into safe mode, error reporting blamed the Voodoo 3. I rebooted again and everything's cool now. Seems to be working OK now.