win dvd 6 WILL NOT PLAY

Discussion in 'Computers' started by stephanX, Jul 14, 2005.

1. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

first the system.

dell l800r
    800mhz
    128 megs of ram, 512 assigned virtual memory

This happened recently, i wanted to watch a dvd so i popped a dvd in and POW nothing. heres exactly what happens. put in dvd, start up windvd6, everythings going perfect, then it freezes. I had this problem before when i installed daemon tools, but i have since uninstalled that. My region settings are good, i checked my hardware and it works. Cds play fine, cd roms are fine, but dvds wont work. It just keeps spinning up and taking up cpu while windvd 6 continues to not work.
    I tried playing in windows media 10, and it says something about copyright protection. WHAT CAN I DO?! the projector is coming soon, and i need to be able to play dvds!

also just a question, when it did work, sometimes dvd play would get a wee bit choppy, is taht lack of proscessor speed, lack or ram, or an outdated dvd drive?

2. Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson Second Unit
    Supporter

Hi Stephan -

For the most part the old adage of "more is always better" is true especially when it comes to ram. You say 512 assigned virtual memory are you speaking of the swap file? I presume that you are using version of windows (xp/2000). Choppiness would indicate to me that it is trying to cache ahead the video to make it run smooth. I would consider increasing the swap file or change the setting to let windows manage the file size as a test.

As to the daemon tools, unfortunately uninstall most times doesn't get rid of everything and you probably still have remenants of it on your system. I would suggest using one of the better know registry cleaning tools that are out there. I don't know if CCleaner would do it but there is a link on HTF to get the latest version.

Good luck,

Colin

3. stephanX

so you think its daemon tools thats causing the problem?I once disabled the e: drive that daemon created, and it played a dvd perfectly. In fact the last thing i installed were the ipod mini drivers. could it be that?

and i have no idea what a SWAP file is, virtual memory is 512, windows assigns like about the same. and it doesnt help chopyness. Is there anyway i can assign more proscessing speed or more ram or SOMETHING to make it a bit elss choppy (its only choppy sometimes)

4. stephanX

come now, ive reinstalled and it still wont work, does anyone think its the opid drivers maybe? i doubt it.