What's new

Win an Onkyo TX-NR1030 9.2 channel Dolby Atmos AV Receiver (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAWD

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
I'd love to win this receiver as I'm in the process of finishing up my basement. I'd love to be able to make it an ATMOS theater instead of just a plain jane movie room :)

dznutzx

Auditioning
Real Name
James Taylor
Hi guys,

I would kill for this receiver. My dad is a very talented musician, has an incredible ear, which I believe I have inherited. I've spent many hours in stores listening to quality sound, and learning (to my dissatisfaction) what it takes to get that loud clear music and quality surround in one system; the price of a quality atmos receiver and the speakers! Wow!

I listen to a lot of music in my spare time and it can always improve my mood tremendously, and when I heard a quality system pounding in the store via my bluetooth, it was like hearing my favourite songs for the first time. It BLEW my mind. I had no idea it could sound that way! What was I hearing before?

I also watch alot of Netflix, Blu-rays, TV, and play XB1 games. Knowing I'm not hearing the music the way I should, I know im not hearing the real movies or games the way they were meant to be heard either. Oh, it is painful to come home to hear and see my equipment after previewing what's in stores. Makes me want to get out my baseball bat. I go see and listen regularly... it's just so incredible to see and hear! They know me by name there. Probably wonder when I'm going to buy something! Same guy keeps showing me more audio equipment.

Sorry for going on. Perhaps I've disqualified myself. But it was nice to get that off my shoulders.

Others attached their sympathy stereos, so here I go :| can't lose there! My speakers require tape to reduce a terrible buzz. After all, I believe I bought this setup new exactly 13-15 years ago. Roughly 300 for the receiver if I remember, and a sale for $100 for the pair of towers.

With a real atmos Onkyo receiver in place, it won't be a long shot to realize the dream of true sound.

Attachments

• Receiver.jpg
    Receiver.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Speaker-Quest.jpg
    Speaker-Quest.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 29

g croft

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Croft
I have been using my Onkyo receiver as the central piece of my home theatre for a number of years now, and it's still very impressive! I would love the chance to upgrade to a newer unit. I've never experienced Dolby Atmos outside of a theatre, and would love to hear how it would sound in my home! I've been a musician all of my life, and, for me, sound is a huge part of the home theatre experience! Truthfully, I've put WAY more of an investment into sound gear than I have in my TV!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I've been wanting a chance to experience Atmos in theaters for years but haven't had a chance due to there being no Atmos theaters anywhere near me. Winning or buying an Atmos receiver will finally allow me to experience Atmos in all it's glory. This receiver would be a good upgrade to my current 7.1 Onkyo receiver.

Joe*J

Auditioning
I was at my local Best Buy and a salesman in the Magnolia area convinced me to come in and listen to a movie in Dolby Atmos. Holy Cow!!! We listened to Guardians of the Galaxy with and without Dolby atmos. I'm a believer, it was incredible. The salesman convinced me to buy a pair of Definitive Technology speakers with the Dolby Atmos speakers as a add on. He tried to get me to buy a new receiver, a pioneer i think but the speakers set me back big time. The reciever will take me at least a year to save up for unless I luckily win here at Home Theater Forum. Good Luck to all!

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
I would like to upgrade to Dolby Atmos because I feel like the extra speakers would put me more in the movie so to say. Having a speaker directly above as well as speakers in the upper corners would certainly surround me more with all the added realism that comes from additional speakers. I hope more and more movies will come out with Dolby Atmos,

JGG1701

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Not only would I give my left arm for this but, my son J.G. would appreciate this as well. :)

He really loves sound quality.

He even made his own computer just for the upgraded sound in his PC.

Can you imagine music from Indiana Jones , Star Trek The Motion Picture, as well as the Classical Music! Bach , Grieg , Mozart , Ravel.

Man this would be icing on the cake for music that is intended to sound the way it was original meant to be heard. :)

-Jim

BrianHL

Auditioning
I want to upgrade to Dolby Atmos because my current recever is an Onkyo from 1991. What better way to upgrade than a new Onkyo with the best surround audio format available for the home.

benH

Auditioning
would love to upgrade my 10 yr old Harman Kardon. It sucks. This new Onkyo would be awesome!

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
I'd love to upgrade my old HK7200 to something that actually has HDMI inputs let alone one that can handle the latest and greatest Dolby Atmos. This would also give me the perfect excuse to add some speakers to my setup. ;)

edouard42

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed
With my recent purchase of an optoma 26hd coupled with my bose speakers this would be an awesome upgrade to my very old and aged SONY STR-D990 receiver!

Steve*W

Agent
I want to win beause I'm currently in the process of finishing my basement, and plan on pre wiring for Atmos speakers anyway, for future upgradability...but it'd be nice to be able to take advantage of the tech right away.

filmlover

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
While I have normally considered myself a videophile- focusing on the picture quality of a movie, I am realizing just how important sound is to the movie experience. That, and that I am starting to listen to music again in my home theater, has me appreciating the quality of sound.

Atmos technology sounds fascinating - and I can certainly use more power and HDMI connections from my receiver, too!

Thank you for the chance.

tns49

Agent
Real Name
Timothy
Love the ability of Dolby Atmos to independently place up to 128 independent sound objects. And sounds from above finally moves us to three dimensions.

Louis West

Auditioning
A/V has evolved at lightning speed in the last few years and Dolby Atmos is moving fast from a "want" to a "need". Independently placed three dimensional sound, wi-fi connectivity and HDMI® 2.0 terminals for 4K are now accesible for the audiophile on a budget. Hooray for technology!

joey2369

Auditioning
Real Name
joe
I instantly fell in love with the latest Dolby Atmos demos technology on YouTube. So I went to the movie theater and paid extra just to hear the new Atmos technology and was really blown away. Really want this receiver but it's beyond my price range, so hope I can win this drawing. Really big fan of onkyo also! Thanks

Rob Lotspeich

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
My current receiver is 8 years old with only 4 HDMI inputs, and I already have more components than inputs. With the wife intending on quitting her job to stay home with the kid it will 15 years (after the kid completes college) before I can afford a receiver of this caliber.

Thanks

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
2 reasons:

I just watched part of "Master and Commander" with my son on our 7.1 system with 2 Epic Empire subwoofers and side and back surrounds. he movie has an odd effect in the opening battle. As they "Beat to Quarters" (The 18th Century equivalent of going to DefCon 4 on a ship), the scenes below deck give the illusion of someone running above, even with no height speakers. I'd like to hear what it sounds like with them.

The real reason-everything in my theater is pretty much done. I have developed this weird urge to make holes in the wall, string wires and build more. While talking with my cat, we came up with a way to fish wires around the room through the sofit, but after patching holes would probably entail at least spot painting, if not an entirely new paint job. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but she might indulge me. My son suggested I get a movie at red box called "Voices" to get the idea out of my system. I think an Atmos system should quell these urges, at least temporarily.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Back in 1983 I had a laserdisc player, which at the time was the highest home video sound available. I had it attached to a regular stereo system, but then one day I read in Stereo Review magazine that you could build your own Hafler circuit to extract the out of phase info which would create a mono surround channel. My Dad thought it wouldn't do much, but I put on Star Wars and suddenly spaceships were flying past us, and the best was the scene were Luke swings across the huge shaft in the Death Star with Leah in his arms, ala Errol Flynn. The dialogue just before they swing across had this wonderful reverb effect that came from the back speakers. That impressed my Dad! That receiver I was using had a "mono" switch, and when I pressed that the sound field collapsed into the front, really demonstrating the power of even such a crude set-up. From that point on, I was obsessed with surround sound. A few years later, I was able to afford a Pioneer receiver with Pro Logic. The addition of the center channel, of course, was a big deal. That was a great receiver, all metal, no plastic parts like today, and it lasted 20 years until 2006 when I finally bought an entry level 5.1 digital receiver, a Sony, which is still serving me well. But upgrading to Atmos is obviously the next logical step!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks