What's new

Win a signed copy of The Carol Burnett Show: The Ultimate Collection on DVD (1 Viewer)

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
This may not count but my favorite memory of the show was the one in which I was a member of the studio audience. Rock Hudson was the main guest. I don't remember who the other guests were. But between scenes during setups and commercials, the actors (backstage) would read tv "commercials". For the most part they were very risqué for the 70s. Unfortunately my memory is not good enough to remember the details of any of them.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
How many sketches have even one truly classic line, and Went witth the Wind has two?
"Got a match?"
"I saw it in the window and I just had to have it."

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
This may be a majority choice, but I vote for "Eunice". I think she is the ultimate Carol character because, while created for a sketch comedy show, she is REAL. There isn't another character on the show for me who is real enough to evoke both laughter, tears, and *recognition* in the viewer. We say, "I know her" or we see some of ourselves in her hysterical enthusiasm and her agonizing failures. Carol's portrayal of her is unforgettable, as is Carol Burnett herself.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'll go with the classic movie send-ups like "Mildred Pierce" because I have always been a sitting duck for that kind of thing.

The show was just brilliant, though, so how to choose. How to choose.

All right, let's do it. I'm taking the movies.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
For me it's Tim Conway's old man character. When he is working in the post office and he licks the stamp and it sticks to his tongue is one of my favourite moments.

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Eunice, Ellen, and Mama in the attic is my favorite sketch of all. I think most everyone can relate to Eunice and the family on some level. Those sketches were pure magic. These fine actors shine and compliment each other so well. Thank you, Carol! What a classic!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think one of my very favorite skits was Tim Conway and the dentist who accidentally injects himself with novacaine. It brings me to hysterical tears every time.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
There is a sketch with a writer talking out a story while a lifeboat full of characters scamper to keep up as he keeps changes his mind. One character leans over the side and heaves... (he thinks he's about to throw up but it's just) a sigh of relief. The voice mentions a woman having a baby and a baby doll thrown from offscreen just lands in her lap, and when the writer changes his mind she tosses it overboard. "And then the stranger picked this moment to play his hand" - he holds up his hand, considers for a minute, then puts the thumb in his mouth and pushes the fingers down with his other hand like a trumpet...
One of the few times Carol had the person she was impersonating right in front of her was when she played Charo's mother. It was just a slower version of Charo in a matching costume with bigger hips and droopy beanbag uh, maracas. I think she tries to cuchi-cuchi and almost throws her hip out.
The Nora Desmond character with Harvey as Max was so off the wall they could do her again and again and find new ways to keep her funny, including a celebrity roast of Nora where Max starts out trying to defend her, but gets into the insult fun himself. "She is committed... or at least she should be!" "MAX!!" "Shut up Madam, I'm on a roll!"

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Mama from Mama's family because my mother and grandmother loved the recurring skit and followed it to its own series, also deserving of this sort of special treatment.

Troy EB

Grip
My favorite skits are the ones involving The Family. Vicki Lawrence was just hilarious as "Mama", and "Mama's Family" is one of the best series based on a variety show sketch. The constant bickering and Carol Burnett as Eunice always has me laughing. Just good funny comedy!!

theatre

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick sheffer
The Bob Mackey Classic, "Curtain Rod DressScarlett Descending The Stairway" will forever be my favorite sit com scene. The timing and facial expressions and the live studio audience and multi talented actors have been the bell weather comedy skits never to be equaled again.

richbarrac1

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
I'll have to go with MILDRED FIERCE. Although the scene in the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT spoof where Carol imitates Esther Williams in an outdoor swimming scene has always stuck with me.

richbarrac1

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
I'll have to go with MILDRED FIERCE. Although the scene in the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT spoof where Carol imitates Esther Williams in an outdoor swimming scene has always stuck with me.

richbarrac1

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard

TRunfalo

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony Runfalo
Tim Conway as the dentist preparing to work on Harvey Korman's teeth. The sketch is so funny that Korman had a difficult time keeping a straight face. Hilarious!!!!

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
This show still cracks me up. I can't pick just one character from the show that is my favourite but I love the outakes of Mama and Eunice. Just watching them trying not to laugh always gets me.

nobajoba

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
ONE of my favorite sketches from the Carol Burnett Show was one in which Carol played a woman whose husband has been kidnapped and the the local news station is at her house to interview her. She plays the character very straight and serious and is crying, demonstrating to us that she was/is capable of playing drama as well as comedy. Harvey Korman, as the newsman, asks her questions about the phone call she received from the hostage holder informing her they were holding her husband for ransom. Harvey's character stops Carol a few times and asks her to be more specific. With each "take" Carol becomes more involved with her "performance" and starts hamming and mugging it up while describing the phone call....becoming an overacting attention grabbing diva. As the tv news crew is leaving she asks Harvey when the interview will be on.. He replies on the 11 o'clock broadcast. She goes over to the phone and calls a friend to brag she's going to be on the news that night. "What for? Oh you'll find that out soon enough. " she replies to her girlfriend " They told me I did good but you know Hollywood, probably my best moments will wind up on the cutting room floor."
This sketch shows how brilliantly Carol Burnett could take you from serious drama to hysterical laughter in seconds. Only a true legendary talent can do that.
I also love the Carol Burnett show for all of the singing and duets she would do with her guest stars from the musical theater and nightclub scene at the time. You don't see that on television anymore. Carol brought in everyone who was active and "hot" in show business, both past and present.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.