What's new

Win a signed copy of The Carol Burnett Show: The Ultimate Collection on DVD (1 Viewer)

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator
Favorite sketch was The Intercom with Mr. Tudball and Mrs. Wiggins; although I enjoyed all of the Mr. Tudball sketches throughout the years.
Tim Conway constantly cracking up everyone in the cast was always the funniest part of the show.
I can't wait to own this set... and if I won a signed set, WOW !

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
My favorite sketch is "Went With the Wind" especially Vicki Lawrence running around screaming "MISS STARLET! MISS STARLET!" and Carol smacking her! LOL

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Sorry, I don't remember specific skits or episodes, as I was very young when the show was re-running on TV. All I know is, I laughed my butt off every week watching The Carol Burnett show. Even at 7 or 8 years old, I tried to never miss an episode. Great stuff.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I remember this show as one of the very few things I could enjoy alongside my parents, as a teenager.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Tim Conway's Siamese Elephant story was possibly the funniest thing I every saw that was written for TV. I can't figure out how to spell it, but the thought of the sound Tim creates makes me giggle.[/COLOR]

JasonPW

Stunt Coordinator
Anything with Korman and Conway kills me, but I think my favorite is the sketch where Conway tortures Lyle Waggoner with the Hitler puppet. Conway is just merciless in that one...

MATTDVD

Auditioning
Went with the Wind, hands down. I also remember looking forward to the commercial parodies every year.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Mr Tudball and Mrs Wiggins always made me laugh. I got to go to a taping once back in the day. Favorite moments are when Conway gets Korman to crack up. :D

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
My favorite sketch is the "Yung Fool" Kung Fu parody with Jim Nabors playing Kwai Chang Caine as Gomer Pyle and Harvey Korman playing Master Po. The look on Nabors's face when he tries and fails to chop wooden blocks in half is priceless. Master Po then says something like, "Your arm is broken, but like the broken wing of a nightengale it will grow back stronger. Then we will brake it again, and it will become even stronger, and then over and over again we will brake your arm and each time it will become stronger." Finally, he adds, "Of course, that's only a theory." See http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0536645/. It is my favorite sketch because it is one of the funniest skits I have ever seen.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
"Went With the Wind". Carol as Starlet O'Hara and Harvey Korman as Rat Butler. Starlet needs a dress and decides to have one made out of her mother's green velvet curtains. When she appears, The curtains are still on the rods, setting up her meeting with Rat:
Starlet O'Hara: " What brings you to Tara?"
Rat Butler: "You, you vixen, you. Starlet, I love you. That-that-that gown is gorgeous!"
Starlet O'Hara: "Thank you. I saw it in the window, and I just couldn't resist it"
The hilarity of Burnett wearing curtains on a rod, and Korman's inability to maintain a serious demeanor make this one of the funniest skits I've ever seen.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Adam Gregorich said:
TO ENTER: Post your favorite sketch or character from The Carol Burnett Show and a brief description of why. 
How strict is this rule as to the content of the post?

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Went With the Wind is high on the list, along with other movie parodies. But for an ongoing skit, I liked Mr. Tudball and Mrs. Ha-Wiggins.

bestactor

Agent
Real Name
TJK
The Carol Burnett Show is such a treasure trove of great performances!
The Family is probably the pinnacle of sketch comedy, but I also loved Mr. Tudball and Mrs. Wiggins, especially the one where they practice the fire drill and Mrs. Wiggins is trying to do her Christmas shopping in July. And...Carol as Queen Elizabeth, as Charo and as Charo's mother!!!
I'm so excited to see this material coming out and hope that the other specials (especially with Julie Andrews and Beverly Sills) make it out soon.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but I haven't had time to peruse all the posts.
My favorite sketch would have to be "The Family Plays Sorry." Eunice is trying her best to get her husband and Mama to play, and naturally, things don't go her way at all. My favorite line was always when she explodes and yells, "IT WAS A SEVEEEEEENNNNNN!!!".
This was always my favorite sketch because it reflected how my own family would tackle a board game. We'd start off with one person very eager to play while the others aren't as enthralled. Midway through, most everyone is having fun, but then the arguments would start (especially when playing "Monopoly" and all the backhanded dealing going on). But by the end of the game, everyone's happy and satisfied.

Scott Bell

Stunt Coordinator
By far, my favorite is the "Mama's Family" sketch that Tim Conway tells the conjoined elephant story that cracks everyone up. Had me to tears watching it for the first time.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Went with the Wind. Actually, any sketch where Carol or Tim caused Harvey to lose his composure would be on the favorites list, but the curtain rod through the dress is truly priceless.

AbbyNormal

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Heise
No question: Conway's little old man character. The sketch where the old man was a firefighter and came to Korman's home to put out a fire ranks right up there with their dentist sketch and Burnett's GWTW parody. The moment where Korman feels he needs mouth-to-mouth because of inhaling too much smoke is one of those where you cannot figure out how both he and Conway are not peeing their pants with laughter, especially when Conway combs his hair just before telling Korman to just relax. Priceless!:D

adklz

Agent
Real Name
jim
Excuse the 2nd post. I'm not trying to stuff the ballot box, but I've got Carol on the mind and one of my favorite skits is the Sump Pump Convention w/ Carol as an operator juggling calls between Vicki, Lyle, Vincent Price and Joel Grey. There are no pratfalls or physical comedy here, but it really showcases how great the writers were.

Rewatching some of these skits it also occurred to me that if Lyle Waggoner were a younger man he could have a lucrative 2nd career as a Mitt Romney impersonator.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I've always loved the Tim Conway oldest man skits. Tim always trying his hardest to crack Harvey up. My favorite one was when Tim played the oldest man as a fire fighter trying to rescue Harvey. When he tries to give mouth to mouth to Harvey is just classic. Also I think there is a scene when Tim breaks a window with his axe and then opens the window.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.