Win 98 or ME or XP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Denward, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I just bought a new PC to replace my old P2-400. The P2-400 was running Win 98 and it had been acting funny for many months. I think that if I wipe out the hard drive and re-install an operating system, I'll have a perfectly functioning PC.

I already have both Win 98 and ME disks that I can use. Should I use one of these or spend $100 for an XP Home Upgrade? I already have an XP laptop and now an XP desktop on a home network.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

98, not Moron Edition

And get XP Pro, not home that way at least SOME of the spyware is out

3. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I recently went to XP, since it seemed like my 98SE installs weren't staying stable any more (I blame the VIA IDE drivers). XP has indeed proved to be very stable, but I would still stick with 98SE. Like the last post said, don't use Moron Edition [​IMG] Stay with 98 or go to XP.

4. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

I recently upgraded my wife's computer from 98 to XP and she loves it. I have been using XP Pro on my home machine since it came out and I have always had very good luck.

With 98 her machine was crashing at least twice a day and with XP those crashes are gone. The machine is an older PII 400 but I upgraded the RAM to 512. Her system runs faster and is much more reliable now.

Thanks,
    Jeff

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Why do I not hear much about W2000? I have 2000 running on my home PC and it works perfect, much better than my work PC which has 98.

6. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

7. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I'd say XP...

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Denward what are your new system specs? WinXP needs at least 128 megs of ram to run smooth. I keep 98se on my p550 with 256mb of ram but the p800 with 384mb ram has XP Pro. The p800 can be sluggish at times but the extra ram really helps.
    Oh and get a new mobo when ya can! [​IMG] VIA chipsets are the hardest for programmers to write drivers for.

9. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I'd vote for 2000 over XP.

10. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I'd stick with one of the two newer Windows version. Win98 will eventually fade into the past (I'd say it's already starting) and not be supported.

As for whether to go with 2000 or XP.....that comes down to personal preference. I personally perfer XP Pro. I believe it to be more stable.....I have a PC (work) and a laptop that run 2000 and two PC's at home running XP Pro. On the ones that I use most, I tend to have more reliability from the XP machine.
    As for which one is "better", there's really not that big a difference in them. They look a tad different with the default setup, but XP can be configured to look and act just like 2000. On the surface they're mostly the same, with some deeper differences. Mostly things you'll never utilize.

11. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Do they still sell ME? Can someone explain why ME is so bad?

My understanding is that many hardwares and softwares haven't been made compatible with XP yet, that MS's control over re-installs is a serious problem, and from the posts here, people have some problems with XP.

ME doesn't have as much "repairability", but for those of us who aren't geeks, and wouldn't know how to edit a registry anyway, is it so bad?

I have an ME and a Windows 98 Second Edition, and the ME seems to have some features that are very helpful, such as a slideshow.

12. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I'm not sure if ME is still sold or not. I know that it was about the shortest lived MS product ever. It just seemed to be very hastily thrown together and every machine that I personally worked with that had it installed had major OS problems.

It was like they just took 98 and tried to make it more multimedia friendly and wound up removing what little bit of stability 98 had to begin with.

To me it just doesn't make sense to go with a proven inferior product when XP has all of the "extra features" you mention about ME and tons more.

Also, I would venture to say that any major problems that people have with XP are probably caused by 3rd party software.
    On that note, I've installed XP on about 5 or 6 different machines and haven't had one software incompatability yet. The only snag I've hit is with EZ CD Creator Platinum. There's some patching that has to be done with the version I have, but it will work.

XP is also a time saver. If you've installed 98 before, you know that it takes somewhere around 6000 reboots before the OS and all programs are installed.....XP has cut most of those reboots out. Installation is a snap and takes nowhere near the time of the others. You don't have to reboot after every insignificant change you make.

The advantages are there, but the choice is yours.

13. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

XP pro or home, assuming you can get your ram up to 128 minimum. I strongly reccomend going with 512 MB.

Unless you tend towards the geek end of the scale, home should be more than sufficent. It's most likely you won't miss any of the components added in pro.

14. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

Yeah, I have to say I'm confused by the people HATING XP also. I'm running XP Pro on 3 out of 4 PCs at the house (and that last one's gonna fall here very soon too![​IMG]) and while it takes just a bit of getting used to, it seems to be INCREDIBLY stable, even moreso that this machine running Win 2k Pro.
    As for the activation thing, I've changed the Hardware around a couple of times on the machines at home and have yet had ANY problems with the activation process. The only thing that ever popped up with that was during the initial days of my Dell Inspiron when I was having a lot of issues with the Display Driver. I eventually had to re-format and re-install and that time I had to call MS and explain the problem. That took all of 5 minutes and while I didn't care for the fact that I had the explain why I had done this to the MS Rep...it was completely painless in every other regard.
    Also, I don't know a lot of difference between the Home and Pro versions other than reading you couldn't connect as many Peer-to-Peer computers on a simple network (like at your home) but that truthfully should be a problem and I'd say most people don't have more than 2 PCs in their home.