What's new

Win 7 changes forgets SOUND configuration on my HTPC (1 Viewer)

jserrat

Auditioning
Real Name
James Serrat
I have a problem with sound in my home theater setup using Win 7 (Home Premium, 64 bit). My home built HTPC is based on Asus M2n-SLI mobo and ATI Radeon HD 5450 video card with HDMI out to Onkyo 7.1 receiver which passes video and audio via HDMI to Olevia 36 inch LCD TV. PC (ATI card)-- HDMI out --> stereo receiver -- HDMI out --> TV The HTPC is never turned off. When I turn on the receiver and TV components to watch TV, Win 7 will mute the system. I cannot just unmute. I have to go into Control Panel > Sound. There I find only one option (expected): AMD HDMI output. When I right click and choose Test option, it works just fine. I make no changes to the configuration and the sound/speaker icon in the system tray is normal. Then I open Media Center and everything works fine. When I'm done watching TV, I turn off the receiver and TV. When I start another session, the problem is back. I did not have this problem with an older receiver but using completely different component connections. PC -- HDMI out --> TV -- audio out --> old stereo receiver. Any help would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
What drivers? This was a known issue with certain series of ATI Video drivers.. you might check and make sure you have the newest

jserrat

Auditioning
Real Name
James Serrat
First, thanks for the QUICK reply! I just installed the latest driver last night. Since I've always sometimes experienced some sound stuttering (when it works at all) I thought of upgrading the ATI card to something more powerful. Maybe I should consider an ATI HD 6000 series or maybe another vendor altogether?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
You're best performer in that series for all features is the 657x or 655x... that way, all of the features can enable, Blu-Ray 3D support, etc. The 5450 can be a bit picky. The issue with "mute causes it to stop" is a long known problem, and it seems to come and go with drivers on it. The issue seems to follow ATI/Denon and ATI/Onkyo. It doesn't follow ATI (and almost any other brand receiver)

jserrat

Auditioning
Real Name
James Serrat
Solution: I went to the BIOS and disabled the onboard audio. While the HD5450 video card driver was part of the solution, for other, mainly performance reasons, I ordered and installed an upgrade: HD6750. So far so good. The last problem to solve is the random reboot of the system due to some WMI event 10 error... but that's a different post. Thanks again mattCR for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks