wimpy shakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Keith M., Oct 27, 2003.

1. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Im still in the process of finishing my HT. But I decided to test out the 2 Aura Bass Shaker Pros. I attached them to my riser, powered in series (8ohms) through a AudioSource monoblock (100wpc) driven by my Denon 5803 LFE pre-out...

I threw in a few DTS and dolby demo discs and they hardly mumbled...[​IMG]

I noticed I had to crank the monoblock and my Denon to get even a whisper out of them...

What is wrong here??? Will they be better when attached to a couch? Or are these just cheap crap????

Why do I have to crank the Denon to get a signal to the AudioSource monoblock???

Please help....

2. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Yeah - I believe the key is to install them into a couch, underneath the couch, or into your wooden flooring. Other tactile shakers worth mentioning are the Butt Kickers and the Odyssee.

3. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I've had mine attached to my couch for sometime now and they "shake" so much, I sometimes have to turn the amp down!
    I've had the "regular" Aura shakers and the pros and both do a good job.
    Before you go changing location, check your wiring for ohm load on the amp.
    While they are cheap to add to your system, they provide a huge reward with the tactile feedback watching movies. Several of us around here who have them feel that they were the most return for the dollar of any upgrade we've done.
    Good luck and hope you get them right soon....

4. Chet Wilson

Chet Wilson Stunt Coordinator

Keith I would check your wiring. I have 4 of the regular shakers and I am very satisfied with them. They must be solidly mounted to a flat surface. In my case I have 2 bolted to the riser underside and 1 for each easy chair (bolted to the frame. I am using a 125w plate amp with the crossover set to about 80. I agree with Donny for the money it is a worthwhile addition. It really adds to the experience- always a conversation item for someone new in the theater. Partsexpress has them for something like $25/pair. BTW at half level they shake more than I need...

5. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

When you all say they really shake, is it a subtle rattle or an exorcist like shake??

Im starting to think the shakers should not be wired for 8ohms but rather 4 or 2. I think they are simply being under powered, but not sure.

How can I get 2 of them wired for 4ohms??

Why is the LFE out on the Denon directly related to the volume??

6. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

I am going to try wiring them in parallel bringing them down to 2Ohms. After speaking w/ AudioSource they claim their amps will handle 2(ohms) @ 200watts, but will run hot...

I will try this tonight and see if this helps, otherwise I might have an AudioSource 5.1 monoblock and 2 bass shaker pros for sale...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have to figure this out fast, once my carpet is in, there is no turning back...(wiring in riser)

7. dan scorpio

dan scorpio Stunt Coordinator

i too am getting a old pioneer reciver to run my bass shakers..i just bought a 50 hrz low pass f mod.. because if not i would be getting 100 hrz from the pioneer(that is the lowest it will go)
    what do you think of the f mods? and if i connect the 2 f mods together will i get 25 hrz and will this be to low?
    the reason is i only what the shake when there is a explosion,not when there music in the movie?

8. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

Well guys,I'm running my bass shaker pros off an old sony reciever and I must say,shake,o ya.Wired as per instructions for an 8 ohm load,any more then 1/4 volume,I'm afraid the couch will start walking down the hallway.If your not getting the shaking ,then something is wrong either in wiring or connections.My lfe channel from my main reciever is split,1 side to my sub ,the other into the sony right channel,then out to the shakers.
    Hope you get it figured out.Shakers are as stated in one of the above posts,the best cheap upgrade I've done to my ht.Seeing the look on your friends faces the first time they experience them will put a smile on your face.

9. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

As most have stated, my Aura pros shake the he** outta my couch.........I mean shake hard and almost violently !!! It's comical when someone who is "unaware" gets their first jolt.
    I run 4 of them on a parts express 150 watt mono amp and off a split lfe signal from my Yam receiver. I keep the volume on the amp at aobut 60% but on some movies with a LOT of lfe, I have to turn the amp further down......

This is not a subtle rattle.. it is a violent shake to the buttocks !! LOL

10. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Well, I wired them in parallel and only one is SHAKIN!!

I then hardwired the wimpy one directly to the amp and still wimpy! Using same wire, hooked up the other one and it was shakin heavily...So it looks like I have 1 defective aura bass shaker pro...

So I will call PE tomorrow for an RMA#...

Has anyone else experienced defective Aura Bass Shaker Pros from PE?? This seems kinda wierd. They are really simplistic in design wonder why one shakes and the other doesnt??

The defective one very faintly shakes almost like if you put your hand on top of a subwoofer, but the other one was loosening the screws used to attach it [​IMG]