What's new

Wim Wender's "Until the End of the World" (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I had seen where it was scheduled to be on DVD sometime, and then it seems to have dissappeared back off the map :frowning:

The longform Japanese edition of this is one of the prized laserdiscs in my collection.. does anyone know what happened to the DVD release? Forums @ Wim-Wenders.Com are down ;(

JayF

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

I read somewhere that Anchor Bay was working on a 2-disc set but has cancelled it. I hope it's not true as I was really looking forward to getting this.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I saw that on Ebay. Damnit, I need to find somewhere to buy it (legit) and then I can work with it from there.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I have the Japanese Laserdisc.. it's almost the last of the LD's I hold onto.. damnit. I'm eager for this to be on freaking DVD in the directors cut!

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Anchor Bay cited "rights issues" as the reason for the delay of the director's cut. I think it has more to do with the poor selling of the previous 3 Wenders collection titles and AB's new management.

You can check under the regional DVD discussion board on HTF for info on the Italian disc. It is probably going to be worth yourself buying one of the $30 region free DVD players to get it. I just bought another one at Radio Shack.

I have the DVD on order from Scarecrow.com. Can't wait to see it.

Mitch L

Auditioning
I'm anxious to hear any reviews of this set. UTEOTW is one of my favorite movies and I'm likely to buy this Italian version. I have seen the theatrical version and a longer cut (still under three hours) but never the "Director's Cut." So I don't know how much will be in French or German, which would bug me with only Italian subs. I also hope the transfer is crisp and the sound excellent, so let us know what you think.
Does anyone know if Anchor Bay has made any more moves towards the American release?
Mitch

Mitch L

Auditioning
I always scour the internet and various outlets, newsgroups, etc. I can say I think there is NO NTSC version of the long form on DVD. As has been noted, Wim Wenders has supposedly worked on commentary tracks for all of his works and Anchor Bay has most or all the rights to back catalog. I've written to AB but they've never written back.
PS There are a lot of good PAL-NTSC machines pretty cheap. I'm sure there are tons of threads in other sections about them. I'd hate to go without PAL entirely.
Mitch

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

I am PAL->NTSC equipped, it's just not my personal preference (and others may disagree, which is fine). When I have no choice, I do buy PAL discs.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it's really easy to play PAL on a computer, 90% of the DVD drives out there can easily be set up (firmware update) to change regions freely. Software DVD players are already coded to convert both PAL and NTSC to your monitor rate/resolution.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I got the disc last week from Scarecrow.com.

Unfortunately, I have yet to get a chance to watch the whole thing. I did quickly go through the first 2 (of 4) discs and it looked great. A LOT of added scenes, even from the Japanese laserdisc.

Even my favorite scene (the plane landing after the nuclear blast with Peter Gabriel's "Blood of Eden" on the soundtrack) has been extended, even from the Japanese additions. Extended so much that the song doesn't begin until after the plane is on the ground.

So, if you are a fan of the film, it is a definite buy.

And I agree about PAL-NTSC not being the best way of seeing a film. I only do it when I can't find it any other way. With this, Anchor Bay doesn't seem to be in any rush to release it in the US.

Mitch L

Auditioning
Jon--How did the Italian release Look and SOUND? I think I am buying it from Scarecrow anyway. Did motion seem like it was a good transfer? Crisp audio with good lows? Sure, I want to see the whole thing, the scenes. It's just I get so disappointed when a film that cries out for an excellent print is scratchy or has muffled sound or some other distraction. You know what I mean.
Once you have watched it all, let us know how much is in non-English, ok?
Mitch

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Beautiful. Beautiful release. I can't understand why delayed/no release in the US, this is as the film should be seen. A must for fans of the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks