What's new

Wim Wenders: Until The End OF The World Directors Cut DVD in US??! (1 Viewer)

MikeMiller

Auditioning
Does anyone have updated info on when Until The End of The World Directors Cut DVD will be released in North America. Some time has passed since the Italian version was released and I don't want that issue anyway. No Dolby Digital or DTS on the Italian version. Anchor Bays website does not have any info. Anyone in the know might want to suggest to Wim Wenders that his fans of UTEOTW are getting angry because of the lack of info. This is kind of a cult film so I am not sure why he wants the release to be a big secret. Gez if he would just give us a ball park estimate date that would at least be something to look forward to. His personal website at wim-wenders.com has suggested that development of the Directors cut on DVD has been in the works for years. I'm not sure why it takes so long but I think fans of the movie are about to give up hope. His website has taken the forum down, probably because everyone kept asking when this remastered film would be released on DVD. I am getting tired of waiting. The DVD format has been around for how long now? Maybe he has decided to wait until the next format, High-Definition DVD is popular. Maybe

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
It's bad enough you didn't use a question mark in the subject title, but the use of an exclamation mark fools us into thinking that you have some exciting news regarding the DVD.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
I would imagine tying up the song rights for the excellent soundtrack would be quite a long, drawn out nightmare.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
:frowning: This is not a post about news on the U.S. release of the director's cut of Until The End of the World, just continued griping-- don't be fooled by the exclamation point in the title (Or maybe the poster would be so considerate and revise his post)!

Anyway, what I recall is Anchor Bay is not doing a rumored 3 DVD set of the director's cut, as was once reported. Don't know what happens next... Wasn't there a thread about this?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

It has both a Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 Stereo track. PQ is very good but no subs on a few small scenes.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Anchor Bay is not planning on releasing the DVD. The new management I guess isn't interested. I guess the first three Wenders titles didn't sell very well and they couldn't justify the costs of doing this set.

I don't think the music rights are the issue as all the artists basically donated the songs to Wim since they were such fans. U2 especially is very close with Wim, writing the theme song just for the film. The film uses music better than just about any film in recent years.

The Italian DVD is the way to go. You can get it from US retailer www.scarecrow.com for $50 so you don't have to worry about ordering from Italian websites or the outrageous Ebay costs. And, if you don't already have a multi-region player, you can get one of those for under $50. So, no reason not to get one.

As for the Wim Wenders forum, is it still down? Spammers got a hold of up which is why they closed it. Kept posting ads and things. Used to be fun. Wim would show up and answer questions at times.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator

Is that shipped? Sounds pretty good for an import. From what site would a person in the U.S. have to order it from?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
No, not shipped. http://www.dvd.it/ They only ship Express so it's kind of pricey. But you could always throw in a copy of Dellamorte Dellamore (Cememtery Man) or the excellen Medusa release of La Dolce Vita, still the best looking, to spread out the shipping.

MikeMiller

Auditioning
Sorry about the subject line. I was worried I would not get a response. How do I change it to a question mark? I tried to edit but I was not able to change it.

Well, if I have to settle for the PAL version or nothing then I guess I will get the PAL version.
But I was reading that the PAL version likely runs slightly shorter than the film version due to typical PAL transfer speed-up - motion picture film, shot at 24fps, is played back at 25fps to match PAL video standard.
What exactly does this mean. Is everything faster and are the voices higher pitch. Can someone school me on the faster playback of film to PAL standards.

Kind Regards

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

Allen>B

Agent
Can an admin please change the ! to a ?

I was so excited when I saw the title only to get this bs.

MikeMiller

Auditioning
Okay Okay, Sorry for using the excalmation mark demonstating my frustration.
So here is the latest info on UTEOTW Directors cut DVD for the USA. I found this info on another forum and I thought some of you might have more info. Here is the info someone posted on another forum.

"Ok, so here is something new and juicy for UTEOTW fans. Some of you may already be aware that a version is already available for 50 bucks on DVD through Scarecrow. From what I understand that version is a straight transfer from the source, unmastered.

Crest Media, through arrangement with Sony, now has the source material on site in Los Angeles and is working on getting the project together in 5.1 with DTS ES and THX encoding, as well as cast, crew and director commentary. This information is a few months old to me, as I heard about it in April. The work was supposed to be finished for a late summer/September release onto DVD but who knows/god knows what's holding it up. A full repackaging concept had been laid out as well as releasing it as a three CD set.

This is all I know regarding the project, but at least be happy it's in Los Angeles being worked on."

Hope this helps. My quest continues"!"

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Mike,

How dated is that information you found? Where did you find it? When was that statement made? Just curious if this is something that may still be possible or burned out as a rumor already...

Thanks!

MikeMiller

Auditioning

Hello Hans, I have been checking the net like crazy for the past year. This particular info was posted on Internet Movie DataBase IMDB.com in their forum. It was posted July 12th 2004 by someone who did not want to be identified.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I don't know if that quote can be trusted.

I'm sure all the mastering has been done, as Wim does all that on his own. I'm sure it was all done before the R2 release. His website would list the process all the films are going through. He is one of the kings of digital video.

As mentioned, at one time Anchor Bay was going to be releasing the film but they changed their mind. The above comment may have been related to that.

And why would Sony be involved? Wim owns the film and released it through Warner.

MikeMiller

Auditioning
Yeah, I am not entirely convinced either but it is nice to have some sort of update. Now knowing the frame rate of UTEOTW in PAL format is speed up I will just wait for the US release instead of the current Italian box set. I have not seen this movie in a while and next time I see it I would rather see the full film in its intended form.

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator

It's my understanding that Anchor Bay was preparing the release of Wender's complete UTEOTW until Warner Brothers (who released the cut version theatrically in the U.S.)stepped in and claimed the rights to the complete version. So at least it's coming from Warners at some point, just hard to say when.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks