Wim Wenders' "Until the End of the World" 3-Disc Edition in German on May 24th!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gordon McMurphy, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Wim Wenders' mesmerizing epic, Until the End of the World (Bis ans Ende der Welt) is out in Germany on May 24th: http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/AS...8603401-3393346
    It's the full-length version and includes the deleted scenes.

There is an Italian version available, but this edition is much more affordable at only 18 Euros (£12.33 / $ 23.13).

Worth picking up until we see a definitive domestic release from Anchor Bay, which may never happen.

2. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

Great news, Gordon!
    Ive just gotten an all-region
    PAL>NTSC player.
    Gonna get this and "PICKNICK AM VALENTINSTAG"

3. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    Good news, since the italian version seems to be OOP (at least I can no longer find it online, now that I've decided I want it [​IMG])
    Still no english subs though, perhaps one day there will be a UK or scandinavian version as well...

4. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

That is a great price! I bought the italian version for about twice that when it came out. If it's basically the same release, the PQ is great. Definitely worth a buy for anyone who's a fan of Wenders or this film.

5. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I see there's an English track for the film; is there an English option for the supplements also?

6. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

www.dvd.it

Or search for 'FINO ALLA FINE DEL MONDO'

It goes on sale for about 28Euro from time to time.

7. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

That's because the original language of this film is English. If you haven't seen it, there are many parts where people speak other languages and they don't get subtitled in English because this isn't an english release. With the exception of 1 long scene, they are quick and you can usually tell what's going on.

All of the supplements on the Italian DVD were in Italian for the most part.

8. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Do you meant 'subtitled in Italian'? I have the Italian set and all of the extras, on disc 4, are in English with removable Italian subtitles.

9. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

Really? Mine's in Italian.... odd. I need to look at mine again, maybe.

10. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Söderholm
    So, anybody bought this yet? I have it in my wish list at Amazon.de, but I thought I'd wait for comments from you guys...

11. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I've got it, what do you want to know?

All 3 discs are DVD-9. Movie spans 3 discs like the Italian release (DVD-5). About only 90 minutes per disc. PQ looks similar to the Italian, haven't put it on the big screen yet, though. Only a trailer, an interview with Wenders in German and the Deleted Scenes (montage). Personally I think the Italian release had better extras but you can't beat the price on the German set.

12. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Söderholm
    Thanks for the info, it is now on its way to me from Germany [​IMG]. Can't wait to see this again, it's been years (and that was the shorter version).

13. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Söderholm
    So, I just watched it. It looked great on my setup (Panasonic S97 and AE700 on 77" screen) and sounded great too. Amazing movie, quite unlike anything else, and quite unlike the regular version. This is really something COMPLETELY diferent, sort of a mix between Lost In Translation and Koyaanisqatsi, it leaves you with a very strange feeling.

Surely a steal at its price, it deserves to be in everybodys' collection.

14. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I might have to order this one, soon. [​IMG]

15. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

If this doesn't get a R1 release in the USA soon, I'll think I might have to get a region free player next year.

16. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

What are you waiting for? You can get a player for around $30.

17. Will_B

Will_B Producer

There appears to be a UK release scheduled for April 2006, but at only 11 pounds on Amazon.co.uk it couldn't be the multi-disc director's version, could it?

In related news, Joe, the site admin of wim-wenders.com, wrote on January 17 2006 that "The one time I met Wim I asked him about this. He said there were no plans for a US version of the film to be released. There were many reasons behind this but it basically came down to the fact that the company that owned the US rights of the film would have made any release here unprofitable for all involved. He did mention that there was suppose to be an Australian release of the DVD's sometime in the future. At least they will be in English.

18. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

It could be, Amazon as other multidisc sets of catalog titles in that price range. Bensonsworld.co.uk didn't have much more info on it, and the studio ( www.metrodomegroup.com ) doesn't have anything up on their website about it. Still, I'd hold off on ordering it until there's more info. You could try emailing Metrodome though.

19. Will_B

Will_B Producer

The UK edition has been delayed until late June, so the mystery about whether this will be the Director's Cut (for the first time with proper subtitling for English-speaking audiences) or not remains. No one on the Wim-Wenders.com forum knows, and the director isn't saying anything on his website's news section either. Irritating.

20. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

June 26th is upon us, and Amazon.co.uk now lists UTEOTW as "not in stock". No new details either. Anyone in the UK actually see the disc in a store? Is it the director's cut? I'm seriously considering just ordering the German SE at this point.
    - Guy