What's new

Wim Wenders' Films on DVD from Anchor Bay (1 Viewer)

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
Quote:

“Finally, Anchor Bay has announced the acquisition of no less than 10 films from acclaimed German director Wim Wenders, all slated for DVD release in late 2002 and throughout 2003. The agreement includes THE AMERICAN FRIEND starring Dennis Hopper, NOTEBOOK ON CITIES AND CLOTHES, NICK’S FILM: LIGHTNING OVER WATER, THE GOALKEEPER’S FEAR OF THE PENALTY, STATE OF THINGS, TOKYO-GA, WRONG MOVE, THE SCARLET LETTER and CHAMBER 666. Planned extras include commentaries and more to be announced. Stay tuned!”

According to the above announcement on the “DVD File” website, Anchor Bay will release 10 films by Wim Wenders in 2002 and 2003. However, they listed only 9 of the titles concerned. Does any one have any notion what the tenth title can be?

Although I wouldn’t necessarily buy all ten of them separately, perhaps Anchor Bay will re-issue/re-package these same discs in a box set or two somewhere along the road, much as they did with “THE HERZOG/KINSKI COLLECTION” (and hopefully will do with the rest of their Werner Herzog titles).

Anchor Bay’s UK branch will also release a couple of Wenders films in the coming months, PARIS, TEXAS (1984) and WINGS OF DESIRE (1987), both considered to be among his very best work. I am not really familiar with Wenders’ work - in fact, I only have 3 of his films on VHS: THE GOALKEEPER’S FEAR OF THE PENALTY (1971) and THE AMERICAN FRIEND (1977) - which I still have not got around to watching - as well as his collaboration with Michelangelo Antonioni, BEYOND THE CLOUDS (1995).

Judging from the specs listed below, the upcoming R2 discs would seem to be the definitive DVD editions of these two films and I hardly think they can be bettered when they will eventually be released on R1 (by whoever owns the US rights):

PARIS, TEXAS (to be released on 9/2/02)

·Klaus Kinski and Wim Wenders in Cannes
·Out-takes
·Audio commentary from Wim Wenders (in English)
·Photo gallery with text
·Biographies of stars Harry Dean Stanton, Nastassja Kinski and director Wim Wenders
·Deleted scenes

WINGS OF DESIRE (to be released on 10/1/02)

·Audio commentary by Wim Wenders
·Outtakes
·Deleted scenes
·Trailer
·Photo gallery
·Wim Wenders biography

So, considering that they will not make it to the R1 market much too soon (presumably in 2003 or even later!), I feel confident in going for these R2 discs which promise to be quite wonderful! Actually, I did write to Michael Felscher of Anchor Bay Entertainment (U.S.) a couple of days ago, enquiring whether PARIS, TEXAS and WINGS OF DESIRE where on their slate for 2003 and also about the possibility of considering a Wim Wenders Collection Box Set, but I have yet to receive a reply.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Didn't Wim also make some sort of Region 1 deal last year for SEs of "Until the End of the World" and a few other titles?

-Vince

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
Vince ever since I read DVD Savant's reveiw on the five hour cut of UTEOTW I have been waiting for the DVD. The the last I saw anything about the DVD was two years ago Google Groups
kd

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Is there word of NTSC releases of 'Paris, Texas' and 'Wings of Desire'? I don't care if it's not R1, but I'd rather have NTSC.

Oh please oh please oh please.

Bill Hunt

Insider
Just FYI, Until the End of the World was a Warner title at last check. I'd love to have it too. I'm not sure about Paris, Texas. I would be surprised if both didn't see DVD release next year though. As for Wings of Desire, you'll be happy to know that MGM is working on a special edition release for early to mid-2003.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Bill, thanks for confirmation (finally!!!) on an R1 "Wings of Desire" - and an SE at that - although I may have to go R2 in the meantime just to satisfy my jones...

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
Quote:

"So, considering that they will not make it to the R1 market much too soon (presumably in 2003 or even later!), I feel confident in going for these R2 discs which promise to be quite wonderful! Actually, I did write to Michael Felscher of Anchor Bay Entertainment (U.S.) a couple of days ago, enquiring whether PARIS, TEXAS and WINGS OF DESIRE where on their slate for 2003 and also about the possibility of considering a Wim Wenders Collection Box Set, but I have yet to receive a reply."

I have just received word from Michael Felscher of Anchor Bay regarding my Wim Wenders query. This is what he replied:

"As for PARIS TEXAS and WINGS OF DESIRE, only Anchor Bay UK will be releasing these as the Region 1 rights are with other companies."

I know that WINGS OF DESIRE is actually coming out as a SE next year from MGM on R1 DVD, but no announcement whatsoever has been made as yet concerning PARIS, TEXAS. Since they will both be available in a few months' time on "excellent" R2 SE DVDs, I see no reason why I should wait any further before adding them to my collection!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks