Wilson XS

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Vaughan Odendaal, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Vaughan Odendaal

Vaughan Odendaal Second Unit

Hi guys,

Try picking this apart.Just want to see any nitpicking towards these comments, so that any misconceptions can be cleared.Secondly, what exactly would it take to outperform the Wilson XS.I haven't heard of it, but it sure is expensive.About $18k with crossover.

This is a conversation concerning the Wilson XS subwoofer.It has 7" ports and is almost 8 foot tall.

"It's not a case of bigger is better with the size of the port - it is a matter of tuning. The woofers, the air in the box the port - all form a complex mechanical system. The designer is optimizing this complex system to give the
    smoothest, most extended bass response. If a 7" port is what it takes to do that - that's what you use - an 8" port
    would be inferior."

"It's like trying to tune your radio - to say KGO at 810 kHz. The tuner in your radio is a variable capacitor. If one cranks it up to its greatest capacitance - you'll not receive KGO. Only a certain value of the variable capacitor givesthe desired result - a circuit that resonants at 810 kHz"

Anything wrong about these statements? Is a ports only job to tune, or does port velocity, optimum air flow also come into equation? Could you guys explain to me what it would take to outperform the Xs, or if you have built a subwoofer that already outperforms it in output or sound quality.

Thanks

2. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Well...that was a funny explanation, but basically correct. You are correct that a port tunes AND also air velocity is also a consideration. Design programs will suggest port diameter and length to give the correct tune. You can up the diameter, but the program will calculate a new, longer length. Will the new length fit, still allowing at least 3" clearane between its internal end and a cabinet wall? Keep an eye on port air velocity, as reducing the port diameter will increase velocity to the point of becoming audible.
    I'm not familiar with the Wilson, but am quite happy with my Tempest sonosub. If you are looking for absolute max spl in a large room, consider Infinite Baffle application, perhaps a manifold of 2 or 4 drivers in your attic. What is your goal, or are you just curious as to what it would take to equal the Wilson. One thing for sure - you can equal the quality and spl for FAR less money.

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Two AV15's should do it. Say a 15ft^3 box tuned to 18hz. Goose them with 800watts (total) and I come up with 114db at 16hz BEFORE figuring in room gain. And the drivers stay a good bit away from Xmax. Wilson boasts 112db at 16hz...and in a cabinet almost twice the size and about 17times the cost. [​IMG]

4. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

when i'm done with my dual AV15 setup, which everything is now ordered, just waiting for the parts, it will be basically the same as listed above; 500L cabinet, 450W to each driver, tuned to 17Hz, slot ported for lowest air velocity, program shows 116db at 16Hz without room response. all said and done, i'll have a little over $800 in it.

eric

5. Vaughan Odendaal

Thanks for the replies.Yeah, I was basically thinking what it would take to outperform the XS.Over at AVS forum, there is alot of talk about this subwoofer.Some feel that its impossible to outperform.We know better don't we.[​IMG]

Its nice knowing that you can build a subwoofer greater than the XS or the Krell MSR.Are there any simply ways of building sealed designs that can put out alot of bass at.....20hz? I know that size comes into consideration, but are there any quick ways of building one?

6. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

7. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

8. Vaughan Odendaal

Sorry to be a nuisance, but are there any links that go into more detail into building sealed designs.Like the whole process.Thanks for the replies guys.

9. Adam

Adam Stunt Coordinator

Here is a link to a guy that used to frequent this forum all the time. He was a medical school student who built these subs called the The Black Hole. His goal was to build a cost no object sub the would blow the Wilson XS away. The link is good but the links to his pictures are all gone. THis was a while back, I wish he still had a website. His theater was awesome.

http://www.softronix.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000164.html

Later,
    Adam