What's new

William Wyler, Hollywood's Finest Director? (1 Viewer)

Seth--L

Screenwriter
I would call John Ford Hollywood's finest. Stagecoach is pretty much the template for how to make a Hollywood narrative (as I'm sure most people are aware, Welles watched it many times before and while making Kane). While he mostly made Western's, few directors made films as much about America as him.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Stevens? Yes. Hawks? Maybe, but he's probably a little better known among those without really deep movie knowledge. Capra? I disagree. Too many people know It's a Wonderful Life - that keeps his name out there to a strong degree, so I think the average person might know who he was...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

They know the film "It's a Wonderful Life" and who starred in it, but many don't know who directed it. As far as Hawks, I seriously doubt he is more known than either Wyler or Stevens.

Crawdaddy

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I definitely think Capra is better known among the general public than any of these other guys. Not just with It's A Wonderful Life, but also Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and other films, he's still associated with the "American dream as little guy triumphing over the odds" story-line. I've seen political journalists referencing him, as this or that story is sometimes described as "Capra-esque."

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

That's my feeling as well. Maybe to stretch these discussions to "Joe Six-Pack" will be fruitless, but I think if you go to people with at least minor film knowledge, they'll be aware who Capra was.

I look at it this way: which of these guys did I know before I started my reviewing gig six years ago? Because of that job, I've learned a LOT about movies and have seen MANY flicks I never took in previously. I would have said I knew more about movies than the average person but wasn't a buff by any definition. Still don't consider myself an expert, but clearly I'm much better versed than I was previously - I mean, I've now seen all but one of the AFI 100 as well as almost every Oscar Best Picture winner.

Anyway, back pre-DVD, I was very aware of Capra and semi-aware of Hawks. I wouldn't have recognized the names of Wyler and Stevens. This is anecdotal evidence, but I do think Hawks is better known than those two because often when modern filmmakers use snappy patter, they cite his influence.

Just like "Capraesque", that keeps Hawks' name and style known to an audience that might not have seen his films. This goes for Lean as well - sprawling epics often get compared to his works. The same can't be said for Stevens or Wyler - you don't hear them cited often.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Thanks for all your comments. I enjoy all these directors and their works, but since I have a surprising collection of Wyler's movies on DVD, I thought it might be worth mentioning his name here and invoking memories of him and his work.

I have all the major Capra works on DVD as well, including:

Lady for a Day (from TCM)
It Happened One Night
Broadway Bill
Mr. Deeds Goes To Town
Lost Horizon
You Can't Take It With You
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
Meet John Doe (from TCM)
It's A Wonderful Life
Riding High
Here Comes The Groom

notably missing:

State of the Union
Pocketful of Miracles

It's a much smaller list than Wylers'.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
And David Lean I think. Only people that know Wyler also know these guys for the most part, though Capra does have a bit more fame due to his famous style.

My vote goes with Hawks in terms of greatest studio era hired gun, but Wyler's Ben-Hur is one of my all-time favorite films, 2nd only to 2001 for me.

Another guy with a pretty good resume with stuff like Ox-Bow, Story of GI Joe, and Public Enemy is William Wellman. Not Hawks or Wyler, but a solid studio hire.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks